Chapter 15- Last Breath

Ryan and Alaya moved quickly, both of them alert and swift. Max, on the other hand, was limping the whole time they traveled. Eventually, they stumbled upon a small lake with a great supply of fish swimming in its depths.

"We'll stop here for the night," Alaya commanded, setting her stuff onto the ground and sitting down.

"Nice spot. This works for now. Max, make sure you don't make the water undrinkable with all that blood of yours," Ryan replied, sitting down. Maxtess rolled his eyes and opened up the cloth he'd tied around his leg to reveal the wound, which had surprisingly gotten much better.

Alaya began to sharpen her knife, and the rest of the group started to do other things to help prepare themselves. A few moments passed where all three were silent. Suddenly, a scream ripped through the air, causing a flock of birds to take flight.

Alaya, unprepared, shot up. The boys laughed at her reaction, but when the cannon shot sounded it caught them off guard too. There was dead silence after that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rian and Jean made their way through the woods to collect resources. They picked up herbs and berries and all sorts of things they thought would be useful.

"Why'd you keep getting ticked off at Paul?" Rian asked, grabbing some fallen branches.

"I don't trust him. He chose to abandon a 12-year-old - that's not right. I just feel like something is off with him," Jean answered, picking up branches as well.

"Oh, yeah. I get that," Rian said.

"We should head back," Jean stated, and Rian nodded. They were about 20 feet from the camp when a shrill scream tore through the quiet forest. Jean dropped what she was holding and bolted to the camp. She knew exactly who the yell belonged to.

Reva was on the ground, bleeding to death. They had a metal spear jammed into their chest. A tear fell from Jean's eye and she ran over to Reva.

"Hey, hey, you're going to live! Don't worry, you'll be okay!" Jean touched Reva's head to feel their temperature, not entirely sure what to do. Tears were now streaming down her face.

Reva touched Jean's hand and smiled. "G'bye, sis," they whispered. Jean breathed in jerkily.

"No, no, no!" Jean looked up at the sky then back to Reva. Their grip grew limp, and the silence around them grew stronger. The sound of the cannon was just background noise to Jean. Her friend (when had she started considering Reva a friend? She didn't care) was dying and she couldn't save them.

Reva looked at Jean and took their last breath.