Chapter 21- Why?

A cannon shot sounded in the distance, alerting Alaya, Max, and Ximena to another death.

"Jean, I'm guessing," Alaya said, somewhat confused.

"But how? Natural cause?" Ximena shrugged. Another cannon shot tore through the air, and they all flinched.

"I'm not sure," Max said, looking around. They all started grabbing their supplies. They could sense the finale was coming.

"Hello, tributes! As all of you are in an alliance, we ask you to please either fight now or split up. We are in the final three - thank you!" the announcer said over the loudspeaker. The group looked at each other.

"Good luck, guys!" Alaya said, getting prepared to run. She was the first to notice the lava behind them.

"Same to you," Ximena replied, starting to run from the deadly liquid chasing them. Max said nothing. He just started running for his (debatably) precious life.

They were all sprinting as fast as they could while the lava consumed trees and crawled up onto the cornucopia's supplies. Max got closer to Alaya, who was running with her water bottle out, trying to keep herself hydrated. He grabbed her arm and spun her behind him.

"What the heck-?" she began to ask, dropping her water. The lava was inches from her feet. She started to pick up her speed. The girl was now running side by side with Max - Ximena had made it deep into the forest already.

Max narrowed his eyes. He was dead set on trying to attack Alaya. He grabbed her arm and she kicked him rapidly. He fell to the ground, bringing her with him. The lava was slowly getting closer, and they both got up, running.

"What do you think you're doing?" Alaya questioned. She looked up to see Ximena watching them, mild interest on their face.

Max turned to face Alaya and swung Ryan's old sword, stabbing her in the chest. She fell to the floor, her hair already being burned by the lava.

"Why?"