Chapter 6- Alone

The fittings for Districts 1-6 were finally over, and the tributes who'd just gotten out took charge of the cafeteria as the others left. Ximena and Haliey were enjoying their free time. Meanwhile, Rian glared daggers at her competition. Haliey, without comment to Ximena, got up and walked over to Rian.

"Hi," she said, holding her hand out.

"Hi?" Rian shook Hailey's hand with a slight hesitation. Haliey waved Ximena over, who was about to pick up a croissant. They snatched up the pastry and headed over to the two girls. Rian scratched her head uncomfortably.

"So, d'you have any alliances?" Haliey asked cheerfully.

"No," Rian responded, looking around suspiciously.

"Are you okay?" Ximena asked. "Are you looking for someone?"

"I'm looking for some sort of fault in this conversation - something that you could use to get information from me. Find my weaknesses, or my strengths, or something. That way you know your competition," Rian blurted out. She cursed internally. She had such a big mouth at the worst times.

"That's... actually not a bad idea-" Ximena began, but stopped when Haily bumped them with her elbow.

"We're not doing that. That'd be smart, but I think it's wrong." Haliey looked at Rian with a sincere expression, "You see, we want to recruit you to our alliance. Will you join?"

"I would have to think about it. I'm not entirely sure I even want to live past the first day, so I'll... consider it." Rian glanced at the door anxiously.

"'Kay!" Haliey and Ximena left, the latter still munching on their croissant. When they were out of earshot, Rian let out a sigh of relief. She hated any sort of human interaction unless it was with her own family.

"Finally, I can go back to being alone."