Chapter 19: Overthinking Things

Starr's POV

I groan as the morning light hits my eyelids, but I refuse to open them. I roll to face the darker side of the room and slowly feel around to find my bear.

Did dad change my sheets or something, these feel different. A good different. Although I wish he would not do that, God knows all the things that are in my room that a father wouldn't appreciate to know that their daughter owns.

Don't think too deeply into that.

While feeling around, my hand hits the headboard, which feels nothing like mine. None of this feels like mine. And I still can't find my bear.

This isn't yours.

Dear God, I'm afraid to open my eyes now. I finally open them and am met with black, like, a lot of black. The room was totally black in color. What kind of person has a completely black room? Not a normal one, that's for sure.

Oh God, where the hell am I?!

I remove the covers from my body and began searching around the room.

There wasn't much there. Basic products, decorations, that looked very expensive, might I add. Other than that, it didn't seem as if someone lived in here, it felt void of any connection and emotion.

I had to figure out where I was. The window didn't offer much considering there was this big ass tree blocking any view. The only way to know was through the door, something I was acutely avoiding.

I took soft steps toward the door, gently placing my hand on the knob of it.

Please don't be locked.

As quietly as I could, I twisted the knob.

click.

The door was left unlocked and I was sending silent thanks to the big man himself. Deciding it needs to be done quickly, I yank the door open.

"AHHHHHH!" I fall on my butt as I scream my head off at the dark shadow in front of me.

"Are you okay?" The dark shadow says. Wait, I know that voice. The dark shadow is Justin.

"God no! You scared the literal shit out of me, you asshole!" "My ba-" "And where the hell am I anyway?" "Calm down Starr, jeez!"

He grabbed my shoulders and slightly shook me.

"You're at my house, that's it." "Why do you have a totally black room and why did you put me in it?" Justin simply shrugged and turned a corner. Not wanting to get lost - like I have many times in my own house- I follow close behind him.

"So why am I at your house?" I ask. "You fell asleep at the tree and it was late so I brought you here. Do you want cereal?"

I nodded and sat on a nearby stool. "Where is my phone?" An object was thrown in my direction, which I just barely dodged. Once the object landed on a couch across the room, I recognized it.

I turned back to Justin, who was currently hiding his laughter with his hand. "Warn a girl" I said sternly, glaring at him.

I walked over to the couch while sending a silent prayer to God.

I seem to be talking to him a lot lately.

I picked up the device and inspected it. "You're lucky you didn't break it." At that point, laughter was coming from him and bouncing off of the walls.

"Shut up, idiot!"

Pressing the number 3 on my speed dial, I listened to the speed dial. He picked up on the second one.

"Where are you? Are you hurt?!" My frantic father voiced. "Hello to you too dad" I laughed

"I'm fine" I added before he had the chance to pressure me.

"Where are you? You never came home." My dad was always the one to worry about me. "Justin's" He let out a sigh, and suddenly I felt so bad for putting so much stress on him.

"Listen pal, you're a legal adult, but you still live with me. I'm not saying you are in trouble, but we have to devise a system for stuff like this so I won't be up half the night worrying about you."

"I'm sorry dad. I fell asleep and Justin brought me here. I'll try to be more mindful of it. I promise." I apologized.

He let out another long sigh and told me he had to go to work.

"I love you pal"

"I love you too dad."

I hung up and turned back towards the counter where a bowl of cereal was waiting for me.

"You alright?" I sadly looked up at Justin.

"My dad worries about everything. He's forced to worry about every aspect that has to do with me because he knows I don't have another person that cares enough, parent-wise at least. And I feel so inconsiderate and ungrateful sometimes because my dad would give up his life to make sure I'm okay."

"Starr, it was my fault. Don't beat yourself up about it." Justin pleaded, but it didn't really work much. My dad was there for me when we ran from my mum out of the country, and he was still there when I was dragged back in.

The courts never viewed on what was truly beat for the child, even though they say they do. If they did, I would have never moved to St. Louis. There are parts of it that I don't regret, like meeting Skittles. But I honestly feel like if I could do it over, I wouldn't do it again.

"I should get going" I announce, abruptly rising from the chair, causing it to fall. I couldn't think straight. I felt so wrong.

You're almost gone.

You're going to have to move out soon.

And yet you're never home.

You don't spend enough time with him.

You're being selfish.

You're so ungrateful.

I rush out the door, not knowing if I was leaving something behind. I didn't really care.

As I was running, my vision started to blur, and suddenly I was in a different place.

+++++++++

"STARR WAKE UP!"

What the hell.....

"Come on Starr, wake up." I heard a voice say.

"Oh crap, how am I going to explain this to you dad." I was finally starting to come to and I sat up.

"Starr! Thank heavens your okay"

"What happened?"