Huit

z a c h

i walked over to the bed, pick up the thin piece of paper slowly. it was creased and ripped in places. like he folded and unfolded it over and over again.

i could imagine him pacing back and forth, a sign of anxiety. his hands running through his hair trying to make a decision. he was always bad when it came to things that had an effect on more than just himself, lately he had become more selfless.

i unfolded the letter, sitting on the bad as i did so. his slightly untidy scrawl was definitely written by shaky hands.

Zach,

this letter is finding you at the most unfortunate of times. but you probably know by now that i'm leaving. you've always been so smart and i expect so much from
you, much more than i should.

it's not because of a particular reason that i've decided to
leave but because of multiple, but the main one is that i'm scared.

i would never say aloud, so
between you and i, i'm a coward. if this note doesn't prove as much then i don't know what will.

you deserve more than just a note and an empty bedside table. but i can't give you more, because in the last months i've realized something. you're my weakness, the look of determination in your eyes, the stubbornness... it'll stop me. and i don't want to be stopped.

so, with as much cowardice as it takes to write a letter rather than see you face to face.

goodbye.

he didn't even have the guts to close off the letter, coward was no better way to say it.

i crumpled the paper in my hands, opening his empty beside drawer and tossing it in there.

How could he do this to me? we had an ultrasound check up in three days, and I could hardly make it into the doctors office without falling apart. jack was my glue. now someone had come in with water and wiped away my glue.

it was like a crack in porcelain, it spread when no one was looking and could be years or seconds away from falling apart.

hadn't that bastard made me a promise of getting through this together? promises aren't meant to be broken, but Jack seemed to have a hard time understanding that.

there was no indication of where jack had gone, or i would have gone after him. instead i had to lay in our bed in the semi-empty house, staring blankly.

I wasn't sure when i had fallen asleep but, woke up the next day to my phone buzzing.

i felt like he hadn't slept at all, my mind had refused to shut off the entire time i slept i could tell. picking up the phone, I answered numbly,

"hello"

"zach?" i shifted, swallowing hard against my rapidly parching throat.

"Jonah?"

"i'm uh... i'm surprised you answered..."

"he left me" I croaked, my throat feeling like sandpaper.

"he what? who?" i almost rolled eyes, who the hell could i be talking about?

"jack. he just... left"

"i'm coming over!" jonah said quickly, his voice angry. he hung up before i could get a thought or word in.

i hissed as i set my phone down. what was going to happen now? no jack? cravings?

yes, cravings. i was hungry. wait a second... jonahs a good cook. maybe having him over wouldn't be so bad.

i waited impatiently for him to
get there and rushed to the door then the doorbell rang.