Treize

Z a c h

I was frozen. Jack's deep, honeyed tone reaching my ears and rumbling through me. my body made weird jerky movements, my knees almost collapsing when my eyes met those smoldering, seductive ones.

the indolent grin on his lips made my insides quiver and burn, churning as my lips clamped as I ground my molars to dust.

I stomped towards him deliberately. my fists clenched at my sides. slowly, the grin on his face died, and he peered closer to me.

I reeled back. my mouth set in an angry scowl as I uncurled one of my fists then,

CRACK!

my hand stung on impact. his head snapping to the side, a few loose strands of hair fell against his forehead. in a split second, he had me pushed against the counter, his hands gripping my wrists.

"watch your hands, darlin" his jaw ticked as he ground out the words. the red handprint was glowing against his cheek. My eyes widened a fraction, feeling butterflies erupt at the nickname. Then, scared of what would happen if I stayed in the spot, I glared at him.

I wrenched my hands from his loosened hold, I placed my palms against his chest and shoved him hard, making him stumble away from me.

his deep velvet laugh cut through me,

"feisty as always" I set him a blistering glare, my voice was shaky when my mouth popped open and words finally formed,

"i-i can't believe you!" I seethed under my breath, I wasn't sure if he caught it or not, but he bent closer to me, I could feel his breath in my face, his eyes scrutinizing my face.

"you've changed," he mumbled, his eyes raking over my body as he stood back up to his towering height. I sent him a flat look, searching for words.

"your hair is longer," he said,

"So is yours," I replied; he smiled and ran a hand through his now disheveled hair.

"you're not as baby-faced as you used to be... you've changed" I rolled my eyes and scoffed. He's shitting me.

"of course, I've fucking changed, Avery! It's been six months- You've been gone for six fucking months! You left a note, you douchebag! And you're surprised I've changed." I let out what sounded like an incredulous laugh.

"Yeah, you're right, my hair is longer, I don't dress the same, maybe I'm not as stupid as I used to be, but guess what?! I'm still fucking pregnant with your fucking kid, and you still left me when I needed you the most. Not to mention the fact that you didn't bother to let me know you were back in town. So don't give me that 'you've changed' bullshit. Of course, I've fucking changed jack; it was inevitable! You just weren't around to see it" my chest rose and fell harshly; his eyes hardened at my words.

Stepping toward me again, I groaned, taking a step back. Something flickered in Jack's cold eyes, and I shivered. Suddenly thrown around into the past, catching a glimpse of the jack that kept everything bottled up and refused to let me in.

I let out a harsh breath, sticking my hands in my hair and shaking my head.

"I made a mistake coming here. There's probably an explanation of why you decided not to see me since you've been back, so I'm going to leave." I whispered the last part and swiveled on my heel, racing out of the house, scared he'd try to make me stay.

I placed a hand over my rapidly palpitating, hoping its speed would decrease. Instead, fumbling with the keys to the car, my hands trembled, vision going blurry as I realised I had started crying.