Vingt

Z a c h

it had been three weeks since we had brought Flynn home from the hospital and we were exhausted. we still had boxes of shit everywhere from new appliances and Jack's things from the mansion and a whole pile of baby gifts from all of jack's hippie friends, who i had yet to meet.

it was four am which was Flynn's favorite time to wake up. as if on cue he began his shaky wailing. every time i heard it, my heart broke. if i had to guess i'd say being in the NICU for the first month of his life gave him attachment issues, but i wasn't sure if that was even possible. i groaned, lifting myself up.

"Its okay, baby, go back to sleep i'll get him," Jack said groggily and i couldn't even protest, just be grateful to have him in my life.

Jack and I slept in the same bed but we were too busy taking care of Flynn to even question where our relationship was. when we first moved he was making a pillow wall to keep him on his side of the bed, and now we just slept with our backs facing each other, even though i really just wanted him to turn around and sleep with me in his arms, i was too scared to ask.

Jack climbed out of the bed and went straight to Flynn, he took the baby out of his onesie and sat in the recliner in the corner of the room. Jack had read that babies liked skin-to-skin contact and ever since then he refused to hold our son with a shirt on.

Flynn's cries dwindled quickly after Jack put his new paci in his mouth. i had become such a light sleeper in case anything happened to flynn during the night, i woke up at the slightest of sounds. i wasn't able to fall back to sleep until after jack hand climbed back into bed.

"princess, are you awake?" He whispered i could feel him facing me, all i had to do was scoot back and i would be in his arms.

"Yes" I whispered back. for a minute he didn't say anything, then he leaned over, kissed my temple then rolled over,

"Sleep, peach" He said. i felt my heart shutter in my chest and i had to hold my breath so i wouldn't whimper like i wanted to do. how could you miss someome so much when they were right next to you? was that even possible. and why did it hurt to miss someone?

come back to me jack.

....

i woke up around seven to get ready for the day and give flynn his first bottle. Jack made his way to the kitchen around eight. the two of us had switched to online school, because we wanted to graduate but it would be difficult to travel thirty minutes to and from school everyday and be able to take care of flynn.

"Have you fed him?" Jack asked as he sat down with a cup of coffee. i nodded, rocking flynn back and forth in my arms, he wasn't asleep but he was calm.

"yes, about an hour ago" I answered and jack nodded, letting out a yawn, which in turn made me yawn.

"okay, do you have any classes today? I just have english 4"

"No, not today thankfully" I replied, switching flynn to my right side so i could open our laptop and check my emails. usually Reese would email me because she didn't have a phone and she really liked the thought of sending letters to people. strangest 10 year old ever.

i had a ton of spam mail and as i thought an email from reese.

Dear big brother,

I miss you lots. we learned how to write letters this week in class so now im gonna be better at it. I wish i could see baby Flynn, he's probably so cute. i hope you and jack are soing good, when are you guys going to get back together he was so cool.

also mom told me to tell you she wants to meet the baby. i told her the baby doesn't want to see her and i got into trouble. she said she's going to talk to you on the phone. anyway i love you and jack and baby flynn.