Chapter 9: No Rest for the Undead

Following Verdia's defeat, the winter quickly came. Too quickly. It's three days after he was defeated and there was heavy snowfall the night Ayumu asked Luna for quests, meaning the night before last. It had been biting cold, but the heat of battle with the Devil King's General, as well as the liquid courage people drank before going out there, kept everyone relatively warm and not thinking about it. However, now that there's snow everywhere, everyone wants nothing more than to stay inside... everyone but Aqua.

Aqua: "Come on! Let's go on some quests already! We didn't get any reward for defeating that Dullahan, so I need money!"

In her usual fashion, Aqua's complaining. She's right though. Ayumu had to spend 10 million Eris of his reward from the Magical Meter to resolve the debt for the fixing of the outer wall of the city he broke when he went berserk.

Ayumu: "Y-Yeah, that was my bad..."

He didn't really remember it, but Ayumu was told Verdia was thrown by a black mist before being impaled by Ayumu's fist. That didn't sit well with him. Black Mist was used by the King of the Night. With all he did, Ayumu doesn't want to become more like him...

Darkness: "Aqua! Ayumu!" she happily comes over to them from the front door. "How are you two today?"

She is way too happy for a day like today. What happened?

Ayumu: "We're fine? What about you? Are you doing okay?"

Darkness: "I am doing excellent! Why, just this morning, I woke up, I went to the window, and I got yelled at!"

Ayumu (thoughts): 'That explains it, but what did get yelled at for?' He ponders this for a moment. 'Whatever it is, I don't think I want to know.'

As if to save him from Darkness's perversion, Megumin walks in, smiling whenever she sees Ayumu and the others.

Megumin: "Good morning. Everyone seems to be in a good mood today. Have you found us a good quest?"

Ayumu: "I wouldn't listen to these two..." He's referring to the 'happy' Darkness and the useless, bitchy Goddess. "I was about to go look."

He and Megumin go to the quest board to look for quests. It's more populated than usual for this time in the day, probably owing to the lazy adventurers taking the day off because of the snow. Not only that, but all adventurers who participated in the fight against Verdia got a piece of the reward, so their coin pouches are full.

Darkness: "Ayumu, Ayumu! (Ayumu: "That's my name.") How about this quest to hunt a pack of White Wolves! Just the thought of being taken by a pack of wild beasts... I just- OH!"

As Darkness flails around perversely, Ayumu keeps scrolling across the quests.

Megumin: "Ayumu! Ayumu! (Ayumu: "Still my name.") How about this One-Shot Bear Kill quest! I'll teach that old bear which one of us has the stronger one shot attack! Nothing can survive my Explosion spell!"

Ayumu: "Verdia did." he reminds her.

She instantly sulks, as her spell, while it did injure Verdia, did not destroy him like everyone hoped it would.

Ayumu: "How about... What's this?"

He goes to take the quest off the board, but he's beaten to the punch by Aqua.

Aqua: "Snow Sprites! This here says you can get 100,000 per sprite! That sounds amazing!"

Ayumu: "Snow Sprites?"

Darkness: "They're magical sprites that appear only in winter, when it's snowing."

Megumin: "They say that for each one you kill, spring comes half a day sooner."