Chapter 11: Destroyer

Ayumu's POV

Luna (over town's PA system): "I repeat, Destroyer Alert! Destroyer Alert! The Mobile Fortress Destroyer is approaching Axel! All citizens must evacuate immediately! Adventurers, equip yourselves and report to the Guild Hall immediately!"

If adventurers are being called to the Guild, then this must be serious. As Ayumu and his party are already in the guild, they-

Ayumu: "HEY!"

He grabs Aqua as she's trying to sneak out the front door of the hall, her cowardice only pissing Ayumu off.

Aqua: "What are you doing!? We've got to get out of town!"

Megumin: "Normally I'd agree, but we should at least hear what they have to say."

That's exactly what Ayumu was thinking. He doesn't want to leave Axel right now, and if the Guild has a plan, then they should hear it.

Ayumu: "Way to go, Megumin!"

He gives her a thumbs up as he carries Aqua back inside.

Megumin: "I mean, if it really seems hopeless, we can just sneak away while everyone else is going off to their deaths."

Ayumu (thoughts): 'Maybe I spoke too soon.'

Adventurers pour in quickly, as it seems at least most of the city's guild members answered the call. Ayumu's had to keep an eye on Aqua to make sure she didn't run away even though it seems his manhandling of her the first time looks to have squashed her hopes of escaping.

Luna: "You are the only hope our town has. Thank you all for putting your lives on the line to help. I know that this is a difficult and dangerous time for us, but we must persevere!"

Another member of the guild staff, one that Ayumu doesn't know the name of, comes over with an orb of some sort, which starts glowing and projecting something.

Guild Girl: "Ok everyone. Our intel shows the Mobile Fortress, Destroyer, is approaching from the northwest. Our town stands directly in its path. It will be at our walls in approximately one hour."

On the orb, a few lasers shoot out towards the magic drone transmitting the image and destroy it, making the orb go dark. This does not bode well.

Mage Girl: "Question! I heard it was made a long time ago with advanced magical technology. Can't we ask its creators how to neutralize it or break its magic barrier?"

Luna: "...when the Destroyer was first created, its creators were the first to die."

Hearing everything about this Destroyer, Ayumu really has no idea how to stop it.

Ayumu (thoughts): 'How's a town full of beginners supposed to stop this thing?'

Some of the other adventurers talk about Kyouya, the white knight that wanted to take Aqua and the others away. Why isn't he here right now? If nothing else, he'd be an adequate meat shield.

Chris: "Face it, we should get out of here while we can." the female Thief adds.

Darkness: "We cannot. It is our duty to protect the homes of the townspeople!" she objects.

Chris: "I swear, Darkness, you can be so stubborn!" she playfully chastises her friend. "Hey, you!" She tugs on Ayumu's shirt. "You got any bright ideas?"

Ayumu: "I've been trying, but so far, I haven't thought of anything. If we can take down its magic barrier, I might be able to destroy its legs, but... Right! Aqua!" Said Goddess responds by looking at him. "You think you could dispel its magic barrier?"