lies

"My faith is shaken, but I still believe

"My faith is shaken, but I still believe." 

"Are you being brainwashed?" Aaliyah asked the man sitting opposite of her and although his chuckle could be heard in the quiet room, her face was serious. As much as his face was familiar, his role in all of this made her think, that she didn't know him as well as she thought.

"Believe me, I'm not," Rex shook his head and run his hand across his shortly trimmed blonde hair.

"Hard to believe it," she mumbled and crossed her hands on her chest, leaning against the wall, while he was calmly sitting on her bed. If she was honest, something about his presence relaxed her. Maybe it's the fact that he is familiar to her, that at one point he was somebody, who she would die for and she knew he would do the same. She would even say they were friends. A long time ago. Or maybe it was all just a part of his role. "Every time we speak, you are talking about Anakin as if he was a god."

Rex chuckled again. "No, not god. Just a dear friend."

"Was he your friend when you served with me? In the Clone Wars?" Aaliyah asked, curiosity burning her tongue.

"I knew Anakin since I was just a little fella," Rex said as if it was a known fact, but Aaliyah tilted her head and looked at the man with anticipation. She wanted him to continue, and he did, sighing heavily before he continued. "I wasn't raised in the same facility on Camino as my brothers. I was just a mere boy when they took me and brought me to Anakin. I was trained to be in his service. To be his right hand if you will. But I became more. I became his friend, and he became my friend. We grew up together, although I was growing up faster. I was loyal to him then and I always will be. When the Clone Wars started, I wasn't supposed to be in service, but Anakin made sure that I was serving under you."

His last sentence made her waver on her legs before she straightened up. "What? What do you mean?"

"I mean what I said. I was your captain because Anakin made sure that I will be. He wanted you to be alright and he trusted me to help you, protect you and advise you as best as I can," he shrugged his shoulders as if it wasn't a big deal.

"But that doesn't make sense," mumbled Aaliyah. "I met Anakin when I was escorting Padme back to Naboo and the Clone Wars already started, you were already with the army," he didn't say anything to that, only watching her silently while she figured it out on her own. And she did. But it wasn't sadness she felt after. It wasn't anger, just exhaustion. She felt as if her shoulders weighed a ton when she leaned against the wall again. "I'm so stupid. I'm so, so, so stupid. He knew me before we met officially, didn't he?" she said and looked at Rex, but it wasn't a question, because she knew the answer. Her heart ached, but somehow, she was numbed to it, because she felt it so often. Laughing quietly, she shook her head. "Of course, he did. He always knew everything and always had a plan. I was just a part of it."