Chapter 8 Part 3: Maybe

The car Reyna was driving was unusually slower than her 'normal' driving speed but it was better than speeding it up above the speed limits. She lets out a heavy sigh, realizing she was almost near their place. 'There isn't anything going on between them.' She comforted herself, thinking, and praying that what she feared was far from the truth. She tried to deny that her thoughts were wavering but she needed to accept the truth.

After a few minutes she saw a figure waiting for her arrival, it was her. Sage waved at her and texted something on her phone that left the driver curious about who she was texting or what she was texting. That was all until her phone lit up, it was from her. The person she was texting was her. Reyna caught herself unknowingly smiling at the simple realization which immediately made her imagine how stupid she must've looked like. She tapped the notification and read her text message.

Cypher has cameras out.

Be quick
I won't roll down the window

She replied as she look back at Sage who is now hastily walking towards the car. She rushed in and closed the door immediately as soon as she got inside the car. "Let's talk somewhere else." Sage glanced at Cypher's camera with suspicion in her eyes. Reyna didn't say anything but nodded. The reality sunk into her; she was about to know the truth. The silence between them was lethal, both of them waiting for each other to start a conversation. Judging by how Reyna's facial expressions and silence Sage knew something was wrong. She wanted to ask her but was afraid not because she was Reyna but because this just might end up with both of them fighting again. Reyna drove away from the sentinel's place. She was planning to talk it over just in the car, so they could have some privacy.

The deafening silence was broken as Reyna spoke first. "Sage..." She said in a low but surprisingly soft voice. She could no longer stand the loud silence lingering in with them in the car. The latter hummed in response, she was all agog to know why they needed to talk face to face. Reyna took quite a long time before saying what she needed to say. It took scads of courage for her to finally ask her about it.

"The other night... I might just be seeing things but did you and Jett... Perhaps kissed?" She finally said it. She heard and felt her heart pounding expeditiously, she wonder if the other girl could hear it too. She was more than ready to hear the answer but she hoped she was wrong. There was another silence, it worried her. She glanced at the woman beside her with uneasiness in her eyes. She looked nervous perhaps what she saw is true.

"What? No we didn't. I told her to stop right?" She nervously chuckled. She scratched her cheek, leaving a small red mark on it. Even though what she said was what Reyna wanted to hear, it didn't made her feel better. In fact it only made her feel worse than before. Her heart sunk in her way of response. The way she sounded like made her think she was lying. It might be ridiculous that she would assume that Sage was lying just by the tone of her voice but it was something you would know immediately whether a person is lying.

"So you did." Reyna scoffed with her eyebrows knitted together and her purple eyes glaring at her. Sage raised both of her eyebrows together in disbelief. She was telling the truth to her. Reyna's feeling of saddening didn't go unnoticed as their eyes meet. She looked away from the sentinel beside her, not wanting her to see the current facial expression she has on right now.

"We didn't!"

"Then why did you sound nervous when I asked you?" Reyna asked her also raising her voice a little bit, leveling up with her tone of voice. The sentinel stayed quiet for a while but it was enough for the driver. She let out a sigh that filled up the silence in the car that once again settled in. After a while she regretted that she raised her voice at her but at the same time she was wondering why she takes so long to reply. 'Why is she taking so long to respond?' She thought focusing at the road. Maybe she had ran out of words, she thought.