Chapter 9 Part 1:Discovery

It has been a few days since the last time Sage and Reyna had talked about a misunderstanding that could've lead to their break up earlier than planned. Today Jett will be sent off to a mission alone and of course Sage and the rest wished her the best and that the mission would go well. However, Sage and Reyna's conversation wasn't finished so easily; it didn't end with Sage being confused about her feelings towards Reyna.

"You're only saying that to make me stay, to continue our deal." Reyna said with gloom in her voice. The realization left her in dysphoria. Although hearing those words flattered her and maybe even gave her a little bit of hope, she didn't fall for her sweet talks. Sage kept her mouth shut, gazing at Reyna who was shedding tears. It was a rare sight, but she didn't like it. The other woman felt her stare and immediately toughened herself up, wiping her tears and faced to the front.

"I am saying it to make you stay but that's not the reason. Don't leave me now." Sage pleaded also wiping her tears but they couldn't stop falling. It was true that she didn't want her to leave her or that even if she did how would they react to each other's presence? How could she kill her after everything they went through in the short span of only 3 months? She figured it'd be hard for her to move on from her own feelings towards Reyna if she ever had feelings.

Reyna watched the rain fall from outside the windshield. She the glared at her with her eyebrows knitted together but her eyes shows a different emotion. "But what about Jett?" She asked with curiosity as she looked back at the rain outside falling as if it was never going to end. Sage couldn't just date both of them considering how much Jett dislikes Reyna for constantly harming Sage, much more if she found out that the two of them are in a relationship. It was all too complicated and there would be only little time for indecisiveness.

"I-I still like her." She felt guilty of her honest response but it was better than feeling even more guilt by lying to her. She often wondered if it was considered cheating to like someone else than her significant other. There is one thought that didn't go unnoticed through Reyna's mind. She figured that maybe, just maybe that Sage was starting to like her the way she does or that Sage was growing into her. Just thinking about it made her heart flutter and gave her hope.

After thinking about whether she would actually break up with her and end this beautiful dream that she was dating Sage. She glanced back at Sage who was still silently crying but calmer than she was a while ago. "Stop crying already, I'm not going anywhere." She said, trying her best to sound caring and comforting. She didn't know whether it sounded better or worse but she tried her best. Normally she wouldn't try to make such fatuous change in her tone of voice but for some reason she found herself trying to change for the sentinel who is currently beside her.

The healer beside her looked at her with wet and teary eyes. A small smile formed on her face and was soon followed by a giggle. "What are you laughing at?" The duelist felt derided and a little embarrassed in her response to her 'effort' in comforting her but she pushed the feeling aside after seeing her smile once again.

"Why do you sound like that?" Sage asked with a small and gentle smile plastered on her face. Her embarrassment and the ridiculed feeling dwindled away in the sight of her smile.

Reyna couldn't help but chuckle at her in response. A while ago they were just weeping and now it looks like everything seems to be going just fine. "Why do you look like that?" She asked her with a smile. Sage raised her brows looking at her confused. Now she was self conscious, wondering what's with her face.

"Why do I look like what?"

The driver didn't say anything in response but kept chuckling at her as Sage grew more curious on what she was talking about. Reyna drove away from the parking lot in a acceptable speed. She had mixed feelings towards the conversation they just had. She felt joy from not breaking up with her but also felt sorrow in it. But one thing she was sure and confident about is her 'efforts' weren't going to waste.