Chapter 10 Part 1: Afraid

Sage frowned at the white haired girl laying on the bed with tears slowly forming in her eyes. With her well knowing that she couldn't heal a broken heart, she felt guilty. She dropped on her knees just beside Jett, her arms hugging her from the side and her head buried at both of Jett's crossed arms. "I'm sorry." She said with a knot in her throat, not wanting to be untied. She felt like it was her fault making all those promises. Those promises she couldn't even keep. Those promises that were probably meant to be broken from the start. She stood up from the ground and sat on the chair nearby her bed.

Jett looked at the girl wondering if she ever even loved her from the start. Was she just playing with her or was she just bored? Either way it would hurt just as much. She never actually wanted to go back and turn back the time, until today she wished that she could turn back the time and perhaps even undo what they started. She felt cheated on even though they had no label to begin with. And even worse she felt like she had no right to feel that way because she is in no position to be, because she is only her bestfriend and nothing more. Jett heavily felt like she had to dismiss the feeling, it felt like it was for their own good.

She loved her too much that even the feeling of love hurts her. "Do you like her?" Jett asked with fear underlying her words. Her eyes were filled with curiosity and worry as she overthinks Sage's possible answers to her question. The question caught her attention, she didn't know what to say. The latter felt anxious noticing Sage's facial expression, it was obvious that she was doublethinking her answer.

Even Sage herself was unsure of her true feelings for the ruthless, cruel empress they both knew. For her, Reyna is full of surprises she didn't expect. It's like she's a completely different person outside missions. A side of Reyna Sage didn't know ever existed until she started hanging out with her. She didn't even ask herself, until now, when did she even start to enjoy her company? At the start Reyna was just forcing her to go on a date with her but now she doesn't even notice how happy she looks like whenever Reyna asks her to go on a date. All these thoughts made Sage afraid and petrified. She was afraid that she might be falling in love with her.

"No, " She replied even though she was still uncertain about her answer. "why would I?" She looked at Jett's heavenly deep blue eyes. She looked through her, she could see how upset she was. Jett just wondered why she kept this away from her, instead of telling her. She's her best friend and she knows that she doesn't have to know everything about Sage, but she felt like she could've said something to her unless she didn't want her to know about their relationship.

"I don't know... Why did you?" She asked her back exactly knowing Sage probably had fallen for her even just for a little bit. Her cold hands held Sage's and cupped her own cheeks with it as her thumb slowly caresses Sage's hand. The small smile on her face made Sage even more confused and guilty.

She gasped lightly before she replies to her. "I didn't and I won't," She smiled back to her with a pained smile. "I promise." She continued, locking eyes with Jett staring into those mesmerizing eyes you'd get lost into. Jett's small smile soon faded away after hearing her promise. All she could think about was how her promise would just be broken like the others. She slowly let go of her hand and avoided eye contact.

Sage noticed the dried blood on her ear and took a closer look at it. "You got shot?" She asked her with concern in the tone of her voice. Jett didn't answer verbally but nodded lightly instead.

"How many times did you got shot?"
"Are you still hurting?"
"Where does it hurt?"

She questioned her in sequence with distress seeping through her voice every time she asked. She got her healing orb in her hand and started to heal Jett. "Calm down, it's just one shot." Jett chuckled at the sight of Sage being worried about something small.