Chapter 4

A few days ago

A young girl came off the train from Tokyo in Domino City. It had been a long time since she had last seen her hometown and it was so different now. Her parents had moved to the capital when she was little due to her father's job. Her blonde hair fell richly on her back while her cerulean eyes looked around trying to see if she could remember the place from her childhood. It was good to be back; she had missed it a lot. Especially her cousin, they used to be best friends as kids. As far as she was aware, her cousin still lived here. The blonde girl took her luggage and exited the train station. Her eyes quickly looked around for a taxi. Once she spotted a free one, she went for it.

"Hello, sir!" she greeted the driver.

"Hello, ma'am. A beautiful day isn't it?" the driver started a conversation while helping her with her suitcases.

"Yes, indeed. Oh, and thank you," she thanked him before getting in the car.

The girl's name was Karissa. She told the driver where to go and leant in her seat but not for long. Karissa almost glued her nose to the window looking at everything they passed on their way. Yes, Domino had changed indeed. The ride took about twenty minutes. Karissa paid the driver and collected her luggage once he helped her get them out. That was it, her old home. This Karissa still remembered. Her parents had opted against selling the house. Karissa was glad they didn't, she loved the place and now had somewhere to stay. The blonde girl wasn't sure if her stay would be a permanent or a temporary one yet. It all depended on her latest application. It was a total gamble actually. Karissa had graduated recently with Artificial Intelligence. She was a fairly young graduate, having finished high school earlier due to being exceptionally smart. It was a gift and a curse, being too smart. On one side, she was highly intelligent but on the other hand, she didn't have many friends. The smarter than average kids often found it hard to fit in. No one liked the school weirdos. That wasn't something that had bothered Karissa really. Karissa always preferred the company of books and used every opportunity to learn new things. Graduating earlier wasn't something she regretted at all. Now, however, Karissa had another problem that did concern her.

Being smarter than average had its disadvantages too. Karissa was young, clever, she had perfect grades and a great diploma but that was far from enough for any potential employer. Karissa had tried in so many places but their excuse for rejection was either her youth or her lack of experience. Even though Karissa could prove her intellect more than made up for that, it only served as another excuse. Karissa knew in their eyes, her being smarter than the other employees would be "discrimination" as they liked to call it. How would the rest feel if some newbie just came and did better than their long-term staff? So, little by little Karissa was left with no other choice. The advert for a position at Kaiba Corp was a blessing. They were looking for a personal assistant. Karissa could do that; she was up to anything. Besides, this company was one of the best in the world. Even a simple assistant's job could do wonders for her poor resume. So, without a second thought, Karissa had applied a few days ago and soon enough, she got called for an interview. It was her only chance, so here she was. Back to her old town and home, jumping to a wild opportunity. In Karissa's eyes, it was just another way to her dream as Karissa wasn't about to give it up. She had worked hard for everything; this was all but a minor setback in her career.

Gathering her courage, Karissa went to the front door, producing a key from her purse in the meantime. On the inside, the place hadn't changed a bit. Well, except for being all dusty due to lack of residents for the past ten-fifteen years. Karissa left her belongings in the lounge to go and check the inside. The opening of curtains caused the dust to move all around and for Karissa to cough. Next were the windows, the place was pleading for some fresh air. Karissa took off the sheet from the furniture one at a time. If she was going to stay here, the place needed a good wipe. Good thing Karissa came in early. The rest of the rooms were in a similar state, but Karissa set herself a goal of cleaning only the ones she'd need for the time being – such as her bedroom, the kitchen, the living room, and the bathroom. That was plenty for starters.