- FOURTEEN -

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
__________________________

CHAPTER FOURTEEN__________________________

__________________________

"Has a Grisha ever escaped?" Katarina hadn't meant to laugh at the girl, but she couldn't help but giggle when the general gave Alina a shock. They had both moved silently to walk beside her,, Genya disappeared quickly from the girls' line of sight, but she didn't leave before telling the Devin girl that she would see her later, and placing a small kiss on her cheek.

"I think the Grand Palace is the ugliest building I've ever seen." Katarina and Aleksander had said at the same time, the girl was only doing so for her own amusement, a playful smile evident on her lips, as she sent a wink his way. The general just looked at her with a coy grin, she knew him inside out. They had both forgotten that the other girl was beside them, as she looked at them confused.

When they stood outside the grand door of the palace Katarina had unlinked their arms, taking a step backward, this wasn't about her and she didn't like the crown anyways. So the black-haired girl stood back and watched in anticipation as Alina was pressed, the queen once again spitting out a racist comment. She watched the closeness of the general and the girl, though she wasn't jealous, she had no reason to be.

Not because the girl was any less than her, she was in fact quite beautiful in Katarina's eyes, but she knew Aleksander. He loved power, he liked having to fight for it, and frankly, the girl wasn't able to put up a proper fight. She was a scared little bunny, and Katarina had killed a scared bunny before. She didn't need to show that she had won, everyone could already see it, there wasn't even a fight needed.

They had gone to put on a show for the king, most of the residents of the Little Palace were present. In the crowd Zena and Sofia were quickly spotted standing next to Marie and Nadia, Katarina guessed that that was probably where she was supposed to be standing if not her current placement. She felt a little bad, she had been avoiding the girls a bit lately, figured she'll have to make amends.

Turning her head slightly he caught sight of Genya, she had initially thought that her friend would be bored out of her mind, but she was proven wrong when she noticed Genya staring longingly at a Durast, Katarina had heard about from him the general. The girl put two and two together and she came to the conclusion that her sweet friend Genya had a crush on Davin, and she definitely would remember to bring that up later.

When they had finished Kirigan had once again returned to her side, his hand placed securely on her lower back as he leaned down to her ear. "Quite the show, though I think they liked yours better." His lips so close to her ear, as he almost pressed a teasing kiss on her ear, leading her out as everyone crowded the Sun Summoner.

"Miss Starkov has training later, feel free to watch it. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with that love. I'll be at the office come by if you want to, no training today, make sure to be at dinner, I will be looking for you." A Sly smirk present on his lips as he spoke, after that a kiss was placed on her forehead, and he had turned around to leave, as he did so the girl contemplated on whether she should pay her friend Botkin a visit, though decided against it she made her way to her room eager to talk to Genya. Walking up to her room, Genya had already placed herself on the bed, Midnight cuddled up next to her.

"Well hello Genya my love, how are you doing today?" Katarina's voice was filled with enthusiasm, as she hopped into the bed next to the redhead. She had grown to love Genya so much in the time they had spent together, she treated her with kindness and cared for her like a sister. It was a feeling that was once foreign to her, but now it felt like the most normal thing ever.

They fell into a talk and somehow they landed on the subject of the former mapmaker. "Yes so apparently she has a boyfriend or something, his name is Mal and they were both on the ship across the fold." She now caught Katarina's attention, seeing as it could be valuable information and that it would most certainly become.

"Enough about everyone else, tell me about this one Durast, I think his name is David?" She knew what she was doing, her tone slightly teasing as she raised her eyebrows suggestively. Genya caved in, there wasn't anything else to do given that her blushing face had already trapped her in the situation. Time went by fast as they were engrossed in their gossiping, and before they knew it time had come for dinner.

The girls walked into the dining room, their arms linked as they both giggled to themselves. The girls stopped in slight confusion as they saw that arrangements had been made for the seating, Katarina had now been moved up the table, placed next to the general on one side, and Ivan on the other, though nobody questioned it, or almost nobody.

"How comes she is the only one wearing a kefta like that?" Alina had asked Marie in a hushed whisper, it seemed like an innocent question, though she had been slightly wrong on her end for doing so. "She's a Blood bender. Katarina Devin, general Kirigan's favorite. He gifted her a cat, rumours are that they are romantically involved." As if the general had heard her, all the way down where they were sat, he ordered silence is among the table, quickly shutting everyone up.

For the rest of the meal, the girl was left to wonder about the black-haired girl, she feared her slightly. At the orphanage there were books about her kind, the mistress would tell the story's her kind when they miss behave. As dinner came to an end Katarina had told the general she would see him in a bit, originally she was going to change and bring Midnight. Though the Saints had given her a great opportunity, as she realized Alina too was on her way to her room, Katarina made her way to walk beside the girl.

"Alina, I can call you that right, or do you prefer formality? It seems I haven't introduced myself, I'm Katarina." The girl's demeanor changed in an instant when Katarina had introduced herself. "Alina is just fine, nice to meet you." Her lips were formed into a thin line, skeptical about what the general's favorite Grisha would want from her, she had already dealt with enough bullies as it was.

A light smile was spread on her lips as she spoke to the girl, her deep eyes looking at her softly. "You know about what the queen said today, you have nothing to be ashamed of. I think your eyes are quite beautiful." With that, she had left the girl stepping inside her room throwing a loud 'goodnight' over her shoulder as she left the girl shocked.

Katarina had as always made her way to Aleksanders office, after changing and picking up Midnight, bringing a book about Morozova with her. The rest of their night was spent cuddled up in their sheets, Midnight laying between them.