I

Author's Note: Check the comment on the first paragraph to find the updated, better version of this story. You won't regret it :)

When the world is telling you that you won't find love, that you cannot find love, it often becomes your fate to not find any. Not until that special person comes along, deviates your course, and creates a new outcome. One full of positivity and radiance.

.

.

.

"...Y/N..."

I'm starving ...

"Y/N."

What kind of people will I meet...

"Y/N?"

I hope the weather is nice...

"Y/N!"

I was broken out of my sleep by my mom's incessant bellowing.

"Sorry, sorry! I'm up. I promise." As I attempt to get myself situated, the blinding lights of the city shine on my face, worsening my curiosity.

We was about 15 minutes away from our new home in Japan. As time went on, holding back my excitement became a harder and harder task. The buildings smile back at me and welcome me to the beginning of the rest of my life.

I roll into the driveway and I'm met with a two-story building.

I've never lived in a two-story building before! The thing I'm looking forward to the most is the stairs.

When we lived in (your country), we lived in an apartment building so the only stairs I had were full of other people and trash.

Pulling me out of my trance, my mom called for my help in the doorway. "Y/N, come help me with the boxes," my mom suggests, struggling with our luggage. She would have asked my dad to help but he, as my mom put it, "died doing what he loved." She told me that he had to help those who couldn't help themselves. He was always the type of man who would finish something he started and he couldn't leave anything "half assed". Apparently, he had to help some people overseas. The base he was stationed at was attacked without their knowing. There were no survivors. Mom said that even in heaven, he's helping people find their way. That's why he can't be here anymore. He's still helping those who need it the most.

I miss him. I miss him so much but it makes me feel better knowing he's still doing what makes him happy. That's what I want to do too. I want to live my life doing what I love.

When we got the news of his death, the military base let my mom know, and they supplied us some extra money. As you might imagine, that wasn't enough. While trying to find work, she eventually received a job offer from a company in Japan. That's why we're here. If it was up to me, we would have stayed in (your country) but, I know how hard it is for her right now. I want to do what I can to make this easier.

The movers were already there when we arrived so all we had to do was make sure everything went into the right room. I took it upon myself to help since I had nothing else to do. The last of the boxes were being moved into the house when I see a girl across the street. I strain my eyes trying to determine her age.

Close enough, I thought. (just realized this makes you sound like a pedophile 😭)

I start towards the gate but my legs don't seem to move. My nerves are anything but steel and in situations like this. It's rather apparent.

Once again, I attempt to move myself forward. Feeling the distance between us get shorter and shorter, my hands begin to sweat and I feel my chest tighten. This feeling is overwhelming.

It's okay, I'll try again later, I think, trying to lighten my mood.

Reluctantly, I turn myself around and head for the front door. Glancing over my shoulder, I see her overflowing curiosity.

Next time, I reassure myself. Next time, I'll say hello.

Author's Note: Thank you for reading my first chapter! I honestly hope you stay for the long run. I have much in store for this series. Remember to share this with your friends as well as go watch Horimiya (in certain countries) on Netflix, Hulu, Funimation, and many more!