𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 6

As Lucas, Dustin and I spot Max walking to her locker, we decide now is the time to ask her to come trick-or-treating with us.

Ok Emmy, don't screw up. I tell my self as I anxiously fumble with my fingers.

We make our way over to Max as she puts books away in her locker. I force myself not to get lost in her beauty.

Dustin clears his his throat to try to get Max's attention, which was successful.

"Hi, Max. I'm Dustin, and this is-"

"Lucas." He interrupts. "And this is-"

"Emmy." I interrupt Lucas, giving Max a nervous smile.

"Yeah I know. The stalkers."

Crap.

Dustin, Lucas, and I pause for a moment, trying to think of a good excuse to be watching her, until Lucas spoke up.

"Uh- no- actually, we weren't stalking you." He stutters

"No, we were just concerned because, you know, you're new and all." Dustin chimes in.

"Y-yeah, for your safety." Lucas includes.

I'm just wondering how things turned bad so quick.

"Mmm-hmm. There are a lot of bullies here."

"So many bullies, it's crazy." Lucas stutters.

"Yeah, totally." I finally say after being quiet for a long time. Looking down with embarrassment and defeat.

I can feel her eyes linger on me longer than they probably should have.

"Is that why you're wearing proton packs?" Max asks, making me stifle a laugh. She kept glancing at me with an expression I couldn't understand. It was sort of curiosity mixed with..... something else, I couldn't tell.

"Well, these don't function. But, I do have this, handy dandy little trap here." Dustin says as he's reaching for the trap.

God they are embarrassing, but I love them. I thought.

"And look, it even opens and closes. Look, look, look." Dustin demonstrates what the trap can do. "Voilà!" He chuckles. "It's cool, right?"

Max says nothing, looking unimpressed.

"No? Okay. But, um- so, we three were talking last night, and you're new here, so you probably don't have any friends to take you trick or treating, and you're scared of bullies, so we were thinking that it would be okay if you come with us."

I look at him and roll my eyes at his choice of words. Be ok? We're acting like we're Gods or something.

Max most likely had the same thoughts as I had when she spoke up. "'It'd be ok?'" She asks in disbelief.

"Yeah. Our party's a democracy, the majority voted you could come."

"I didn't realize it was such an honor to go trick-or-treating with you." Max says with fake enthusiasm.

Dustin obviously didn't get the sarcasm, so he kept talking. "Yeah, we know where to get the full sized candy bars. We figured you'd want in."

"That's presumptuous of you." Max says.

I can't hide my giggle knowing that Dustin has no idea what that word means. This is gonna be interesting.

Just as I thought, they both pause in confusion.

Dustin speaks up. "Yeah. Totally. Uh, so, um... you'll come?"

Max rolls her eyes as she shuts the locker door and turns away, but not before flashing me a smile that could've made me melt to the floor. But I kept my composure.