Chapter 11

As I walk down the busy hallway I spot Max at her locker, as my eyes land on her I start making my way towards her.

"Hey max." I say. "Have you seen Dustin and Lucas? We're supposed to meet after class."

As soon as I finish my sentence, Max slams her locker and walks off, not even glancing in my direction.

Weird. I thought.

"Max!" I beg as I follow her.

She quickly walks out the doors of the school making her way down the steps and onto the concrete.

"Hey, Max! Hey, where are you going?" I question. "Come on! We've gotta go look for Dart."

"Yeah, good luck with that." She states coldly, continuing to speed-walk away from me without looking in my direction. But I won't give up that easy, keeping the same pace as I try to figure out what's wrong.

"Hey what's wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you?" She shoots back.

"I don't understand." I say.

"No! I don't understand!" She suddenly whips in my direction finally allowing herself to look at me. "Y-you guys act like you want me to be your friend but then you just treat me like garbage!" She yells.

I stumble back in shock. "That's not true!"

"Yes it is!" She snaps. "You just go and hide in the AV Club, keeping secrets like we're in second grade or something. You know, I thought you guys wanted me in your party."

"We do!" I say. "But it's..."

"But what?" She questioned.

I sigh. "There... there are just things. Things we can't tell you, all right? For your own safety." I explain.

"My own safety?"

"Yes!"

"Because I'm a girl?" She inquired.

"What? No! I'm a girl too, so it's not that."

"Did you keep secrets from El?"

I freeze. "Let's not talk about her Max."

"Did you?" She pushed.

"That was different. Trust me. Okay? That was just.... just different."

"Okay. You know what? Forget it, ok? I don't wanna be in your stupid party anyway. I'm out." She hissed. "Have a nice life." And just like that she turned her back towards me, walking away.

I panic, I don't want the conversation to end on that bad note, I didn't want any of this to happen.

"Max!" I plead. But she chooses to ignore me, not even turning around.

I feel like shit. For the most part, she was right. We have been leaving her out of things. Not like I wanted to, it was all Mikes fault. I also don't fully blame him though, he was just worried that we were 'replacing El.' I just ruined everything. I feel a sharp pang of guilt and hurt in my chest. I don't think this 'forgetting about crush on Max' plan is going to work.

I really like her.

(Time skip)

I lay in my bed that night tossing and turning, hoping I can find the right position to fall asleep.

But then I realize, I don't think it's the comfortability that's keeping me up, it's my racing thoughts.

The argument I had with max keeps unwillingly replaying in my head over and over again. Guilt hitting me like a bus every time.