Chapter 13

"Your positive that was Dart?" Lucas asks. We're currently heading back from the junkyard.

"Yes." Dustin answers. "He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt."

"Well, he was tiny two days ago." Max chimes in.

"Well, he's molted three times already."

"Molted?" Steve asks.

"Molted." I answer. "Shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms."

"So when's he gonna molt again?" Max questions.

"It's gotta be soon." Dustin replies. "When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends."

"Yeah, he's gonna eat a lot more than just the cats." Steve chimes in.

"Wait a cat?" Lucas stops Dustin.

"Dart ate a cat?" I exclaim.

"No, what? No."

"What are you talking about? He ate mews." Steve answers.

"Mews?" Max questions. "Who's mews?"

"It's Dustin's cat."

"Steve!" Dustin yells.

"I knew it!" Lucas pushes Dustins shoulder. "You kept him!"

"No!" Dustin denies. "No. No, I... no, I..." Dustin sighs. "He missed me. He wanted to come home."

"Bullshit!" I exclaim.

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?"

"Oh, so now you admit it?" Lucas asks.

"Guys, who cares?" Max butts in. "We have to go."

"I care!" Lucas yells. "You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!"

"So did Emmy!"

"What?" I ask.

"You told a stranger the truth!" Dustin points his bright flashlight in Max's face.

Max scoffs. "A stranger?"

"You guys wanted to tell her too!" I shoot back.

"But we didn't, Emmy, okay?" Dustin yells. "We didn't tell her! We all broke the rule of law, okay? So we're all even. We're even."

"No, no! We're not even!" Lucas yells. "Don't even try that. Your stupid pet could have ate us for dinner!"

"That was not my fault!"

"Guys?" Steve asks walking ahead of us. But we chose to keep arguing.

"He wasn't gonna eat us." Dustin defends.

"So he was crawling to come say hello?" I question with sarcasm.

"Guys!" Steve yells, which finally brung our attention towards him.

Suddenly, we all heard screeching in the distance, so we kept walking forward, except Max.

"No, no, no. Hey, guys, why are you headed towards the sound?" Max protests. "Hello?"

But we just keep on walking, until she reluctantly follows along.

We finally reach a clearing of the forest, where it's a hill as well. We look off into the foggy distance to try and find what was making the noise.

"I don't see him." Dustin says.

Lucas pulls out his binoculars to try and get a closer look, after a moment of silence he spots something