fifteen

SHE SIGHS AS SHE LEANS HER head against the wood of the skiff. She was sitting on the dock of the Skiff, looking up to where Zoya is standing. Things were going smoothly, considering the fact that they were in the middle of the Fold, surrounded by Volcra, awaiting the first sign of life. It was completely silent, nothing had been said among them since they'd gotten into the Fold.

"Hey, do you mind if I sit here?" Inej asks, her voice barely above a whisper to not make too much noise and attract the Volcra. Nyx nods, making Inej slide down next to her. "Are you and the Darkling together?"

"Are you and Kaz together?" Nyx retorts, making Inej look at her shock, not having expected that question. Nyx breaths out, realising she might have overstepped a boundary. "Sorry. It's complicated."

"Same. I guess it's not easy to find love in Ravka." Inej muses, making Nyx chuckles softly as she looks up at the shadows swirling around them.

"No. I suppose not. He just doesn't realise what he's missing out on." Nyx shrugs, making Inej snort in amusement. A smile tugs at Nyx's lips as she glances down at Inej. "I think Kaz is protective of you. I mean the daggers he's glaring at me right now. It says a lot."

"It's hard to tell. One moment I think I know what he's thinking and the next I don't." Inej sighs and Nyx gives her a soft smile of encouragement.

"Yeah, men are so complicated." Nyx hums, forcing a smile as she looks down at her feet. "You think you've got them figured out and then they do the one thing you never wanted them to do."

"What did he do?" Inej asks curiously and Nyx sighs.

"He promised me a life that I've always dreamt of, but he gave it all to someone else." Nyx says and Inej winces.

"I wouldn't mind stabbing him a few times for you if you want." Inej teases, causing Nyx to let out a breathy chuckle and shake her head.

"Trust me. If I wanted him dead. He'd already be. There are better ways to make him suffer for what he did." Nyx points out and Inej nods in understanding.

"Well, if ever you need help. Let us know. I mean, Kaz is willing to do anything for the right price." Inej says honestly, causing the Heartrender to snort in amusement. Nyx felt herself become at ease in the presence of Inej. "But I think you can get a discount for helping us getting through the Fold."

"I appreciate that. We'll discuss more when we get there, how about that?" Nyx suggests and Inej nods in agreement. "Where are you going? I mean your final destination once through the Fold?"

"Ketterdam. And a whole lot of trouble." Inej muses I'm response and Nyx hums in acknowledgment. She'd never been to Ketterdam, but she'd heard quite a few stories of there. "It's home, I suppose."

"I disagree, for you at least. I think home, is where he is." Nyx smirks as she nods in the direction of Kaz, making Inej huff.

"I owe him my life. It's complicated." Inej says, not trying to deny it.

"Isn't all matters of the heart complicated?" Nyx asks in retort and Inej nods in agreement. A comfortable silence settles between as they look at the flashes of lights emitted between the shadows.

"What's your plan from here on?" Inej asks and Nyx sighs as she looks up at where Zoya is. She could imagine how tiring it is to be standing there and making the Skiff move.

Zoya was by far one of the most skilled Grishas in the Second Army, she could've easily aimed for Nyx's position and perhaps even achieved it - not that Nyx would have given it up without fight - simply out of sheer ability. Yet, she never tried and had stayed loyal to the General, but especially to Nyx. One of the reasons, she accepted to take Zoya along.

Sure, she'd probably make a more lethal army with more Corporalki by her side - the way Aleksander does it - but even if Fedyor would show loyalty to her, she couldn't take him. It would mean separating him from Ivan and not to mention, that he may not actually support her path for revenge. She always believed that if Fedyor knew Aleksander's true plans, he wouldn't be as loyal.

Her attention shifts to David, who is sitting in a corner, looking around anxiously. Even though he sometimes seemed weak to the outside world, he was by far the most valuable member of Aleksander's inner circle. Having created so many things to help advance the accessories and skills of the Second Army.

But not only that, they'd been friends way before she had received her position as Second in Command. He was younger than her and when he arrived at the Little Palace, she'd taken him under her wing. Once she rose to the position she was in, she made sure he got the recognition he deserved. So everything she was going to do, wasn't just fuelled by her vengeance, but also her need to protect them from his manipulations.

"Give the Darkling a taste of his own medicine." She says firmly, turning to look at Inej again.