twentyeight

"THE DARKLING ALREADY KNOWS we are declaring war. So he'll try to stop us from arriving. Knowing him, he'll block off Kirbirsk to stop us." Nyx says as she leans against the table where they'd spread out a map of Ravka. Across from her stood Nikolai and his friends - who she'd learn to know them as Tamar and Tolya - Zoya and David stood on each side of her, while Viktor and Adrian stood between Zoya and Tamar. "So our best option is to avoid Kirbirsk."

"It's risky, but doable. We'd have to leave from outer parts of Novokribirsk and make sure to go straight." Nikolai muses as he draws out the path with his finger.

"Then, we have Skiff leave from here and there. So that we surround Kirbirsk, leaving his army no other path than going back towards Os Alta." Nyx adds on and he nods in agreement.

"That means we'll have to separate. We need someone we trust to lead one army while you lead the other." Zoya points out and Nyx takes a deep breath as she thinks this through.

"Zoya, you'll have to go. We've worked side by side long enough to able to think similarly." Nyx says, making Zoya nod in acceptance of her role.

"Communication between both camps will be hard, if not impossible." Tolya says with a frown as he looks at the map in thought.

"When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable." Nikolai says, his signature charming smile gracing his face. Nyx chuckles softly as she shakes her head.

"Communication between both camps will only be during moments of emergency and we'll figure something out when the time comes." Nyx says, making them all nod in agreement.

"Will they be joining?" Adrian asks as he nods to Nikolai, Tamar and Tolya. Nyx uncertain of the answer herself, looks up at Nikolai. She knew not to hope too much, since she had already asked much with the Skiffs.

"You only have two Grishas who are fully battle trained. I think you'll need our help more than anything." Nikolai hums as he smirks at Nyx, who beams happily. "For a certain price."

"You already know what you're getting once this all over." Nyx points out and he shakes his head.

"No. I'd rather a kiss from you." He says, making her get flustered as Zoya snickers and Adrian gapes at the Prince.

"He's really good. I think I fell in love a little." Adrian says honestly, making Nikolai look at him in amusement.

"I'll give you one too, if you wish." Nikolai says teasingly and Adrian chuckles, clearly amused by the wildness of the blonde.

"Okay, if it's us eight. We'll have to divide into four. Zoya you will go south of Kirbrisk and I'll go North. Who wants to go where?" Nyx asks as she looks around the table.

"I'm not going anywhere with her." Adrian says as he looks at Zoya with a scoff, who rolls her eyes in response.

"I don't want you anywhere with me." Zoya retorts and Nyx sighs, slightly getting annoyed by their constant bickering.

"I'll take Adrian. Anyone else?" Nyx sighs in response.

"I'll follow you to the end of world." Nikolai says and Nyx bites her lip to stop herself from smiling. He hadn't stopped making flirtatious comments ever since he'd followed her back to where they were camped.

"I'll go with Zoya." Tamar says, nodding at Zoya who smiles appreciatively.

"David. I think you'll go with Zoya." Nyx hums as she turns to look at the Durast, who nods in acceptance.

"You should take Viktor. To keep an eye on him." Zoya says, making them all turn to the General. Viktor looks at Nyx in fear as she tilts her head in thought.

"I suppose we could do that." Nyx hums.

"Or we could just leave him behind." Tamar suggests and Nyx thoroughly considers it.

"No. Can't do. We need him to act as General while we act behind the scenes." Nyx sighs, wishing she could follow Tamar's advice.

"Tolya, will you be fine going with Zoya?" Nikolai asks as he looks up at Tolya, who nods in response. "Well, that settles it. We'll need approximately three more weeks to finish the Skiffs."

"Alright, so that'll give us enough time to divide the army into two, before crossing. Nikolai, you better have a Squaller, because my only one is going somewhere else." Nyx says pointedly, making him chuckle.

"Don't worry, my love. I've got you covered." He assures her and she smiles in satisfaction.

"Well, that'll settles it. In less than four weeks we'll cross." She finalise, making them all nod. Viktor doesn't stay any longer, feeling too intimidated stay. "Thank you, Nikolai. For accepting to help us."

"It's a pleasure. As long as I get a kiss as payment." He winks at her and she rolls her eyes, her smile betraying her pretence of annoyance.