twentyone

SHE SMILES AT THE WAITER AS HE puts down the plates of food they've ordered. They haven't been here for a long time, having taken the table the furthest away from anyone so they could discuss their plan of action. When she had told David and Zoya that she spend the whole day looking for information, they'd been in disbelief.

"Okay, so tell us what you know." Zoya says as soon as the waiter leaves, picking up her fork. Nyx shifts closer to the edge of her chair.

"Everyday he has a gathering on the Plaza to give a speech. He's surrounded by at least four guards at all times. There is a tent right next to the stage, that's where he goes in after he finishes." She explains to them, who are listening intently to what she is saying. "No one talks about him in the streets, not even mentions of competition among the First Army members."

"It sounds like a dictatorship. But if he has guard at all times, how do we get to him?" David asks after having swallowed the food in his mouth. She purses her lips in thought.

"Would you be able to stop his heart if you stand first row during one of his speeches?" Zoya asks, making Nyx shake her head disapprovingly.

"I can, but it'll be too public. It'll be an act of terrorism and it'll bring too much attention to us. His death must be kept a secret until the King knows of it." Nyx answers and Zoya hums in understanding.

"What if we persuade the guards to join our side?" David asks, making Zoya and Nyx look at him with intrigue. "Everyone wants power, so when it's offered they'll take it up."

"And how do we offer them that power?" Zoya asks, leaning closer. David glances at Nyx.

"You said you didn't want to lead in the spotlight, right? So you need someone to act as General in your stead. Offer them that position." David concludes and Nyx smirks approvingly, but Zoya frowns.

"Not all of them will fall for the bait, so what do we do about them?" Zoya asks, causing David to look up in thought.

"We kill them." Nyx says nonchalantly, making David and Zoya look at her in disbelief. She shrugs innocently at their stares. "It's not ideal, but we're going to have to play dirty if we want this work."

"You're right. It's just... scary." Zoya sighs as she leans back in her chair. David nods in agreement as he looks down at his plate.

"I know. But we're dealing with the General of the Second Army, if we don't make sure our own army is holding together, we can't fight him." Nyx breaths out, rubbing her forehead to sooth the oncoming headache.

"General Kirigan wouldn't do things any other way." Zoya sighs, causing David look up with a sigh.

"You two seem used to this. The Materialki aren't trained to for combat and war, only to make the tools to fight." David says softly and Nyx smiles softly at him, putting a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"If you want to learn, Zoya or I can teach you how to fight. But from now on, you're not just creating our weapons, you'll have as much of a say in this as Zoya and I." Nyx says firmly and David smiles gratefully at him, before she drops her hand from his shoulder. "Okay, so we need to set a meeting with Zlatan, get access to the inside of the tent. That's where we can strike."

"So we need to come up with a way and reason in." Zoya muses and Nyx nods.

"Information maybe. If we say we come from the Fete and tell him we have information about the sun summoner." David points out and Nyx smirks, nodding in satisfaction.

"I think we got ourselves a plan. And I think I just know the person who can get us a meeting with the General." Nyx muses and Zoya gives her a look of disbelief.

"Please don't tell me it's that little kid." Zoya says, making Nyx shrug in response and the Squaller groans in response. "What is it about the kid that has got you so interested?"

"I don't know. He kind of reminds me of someone." She shrugs innocently, receiving a look of confusion from Zoya.

"I didn't know you were so sentimental." David hums, making Zoya snort in response and Nyx shakes her head.

"One more word from the two of you and I'll throw you both in Fold." Nyx grumbles, making the two chuckle and shake their head.

"Whatever mom." Zoya smirks, making Nyx drop her fork.

"What did you just call me?" Nyx asks in disbelief, David trying his best to hold in his laughter, but failing.

"Yeah, Fedyor told us all about you and General Kirigan. So sad we only found out during the divorce process." Zoya pouts and Nyx groans in response, wishing she could throw her into the Fold.