eighteen

"THIS A NICE PLACE, MAYBE WE could stay here and forget about the Little Palace. Live a peaceful life." David suggests as they ride through the streets of Os Kervo. They had just arrived at the Port City.

"Please, you just don't have the guts for war." Zoya teases and Nyx shakes her head, moving slightly ahead of them so that she doesn't have to put up with their bickering. She glances around, taking notice of all the First Army members and the Flyers on the walls about the Independence.

She shakes her head disapprovingly. An independency from East Ravka would be too much of a hassle. It would mean losing the protection of the Second Army and it would be surrounded by enemies. There are so many issues that made her wonder why they even considered independence.

That wasn't an issue she would worry about since in a matter of time, it wouldn't even be a problem anymore. All that mattered now was getting the First Army posted in West Ravka under her control. From there on, the more serious matters could begin and the rest would be an issue for later.

She notices a small sign indicating that the building was an inn. She stops her horse and silently slides off the saddle. Nyx turns around to glance at her two friends and nods towards them Inn, making them look at it.

"I'll go in first. Wait for me here." Nyx says firmly and they nod in acceptance, before she makes her way in. She walks up to the desk and smiles at the woman sitting behind it.

"We don't take beggars." The woman says sternly, making Nyx stop in her steps and look at her in confusion. The woman glances down at the clothes Nyx is wearing and she also looks down, wincing as she realise how bad she looked. It had been quite a while since she had taken time to get washed and get changed.

"I have the money to pay. My friends and I need a place for a week at least." Nyx says as she steps a little closer and the woman looks at her in disbelief.

"Right and I'm the sun summoner." The woman scoffs and Nyx clenches her jaw. Keeping her hands out of the sight of the woman, she forms a triangle - using her middle finger, index finger and thumb - before raising her hand a little.

"How about we try this again? My friends and I need a place to stay the night, I can pay. Two rooms at least." Nyx says calmly and the woman sighs, nodding in response as she takes a book out.

"How long will you be staying?" The woman asks and Nyx smiles, stepping closer. One thing Nyx had learned throughout the many years having to be diplomatic with Aleksander at events, is that people are more willing to listen when they're calm and all she had to do was reduce their heart rate.

"It's uncertain for now. But put in a week for now." Nyx says and the lady nods, giving her the price for the stay. Nyx hands her the money, before taking the room keys and heading out to get the two. Zoya and David, who have gotten down from their horses, turn around to look at her. "We're good to go."

"Noticed stables behind there, we could leave them there." David says just as a boy rushes out of the Inn. The three Grishas look at him curiously as he stops in front of Nyx.

"I was send to take care of the horses." The boy gasps out and Nyx glances at her two friends, before looking back at the boy.

"What's your name kid?" Nyx asks and the boy gets flustered as he straightens up.

"I'm... I'm Adrian." He says lowering his head and Nyx crosses her arms.

"Take good care of these three, Adrian. They'll soon lead an army." Nyx smirks as she pats the boy on the shoulder, before going in with Zoya and David right behind her.

"Was it wise to mention the last part?" David asks with wide eyes and Nyx waves him off.

"He's just a kid. He probably thinks we're joining the First Army." Nyx says as they walk past the desk at the front and the woman stands up, walking ahead of them to show where their rooms are situated. "Anyway, what could he possibly do to stop us?"

"Whatever. I need a bath, I don't have time to worry about you accidentally leaking information." Zoya huffs as they reach the rooms and Nyx tosses a key to David, before using the other to unlock the room she'd share with Zoya.

"We all need a bath. So don't take too long." Nyx says sternly to Zoya, who goes into the room. Nyx turns around to look at David.

"I'll see you for dinner. Wash up and get some rest in the mean time." She says, making him nod and get into the room. She takes a deep breath, before turning around and getting in the room, shutting the door behind her.