twentythree

WALKING ALONE THROUGH THE streets after a long day, helped her calm down. Since the death of General Zlatan, they'd been busy fixing things so that Viktor would be considered as the new General and find ways to disguise their movements as being part of their fight for independency, so not to confuse the public.

She had made sure to slip on her hood before leaving the security of the place they were now staying. Now that they were to control an army, they had left the Inn and moved into Zlatan's tent. It made it easier to handle everything, especially the paperwork. Which she still hated very much.

She is lost in her thoughts, that she doesn't notice the person in front of her and bumps into them. Her hood falls back, making her hair flow out with the wind. She looks up and her features turn into a glare as she recognises the person. The last one she wanted to see, she'd rather face Aleksander in all honesty.

"Nyx? What... what are you doing here?" Alina breaths out, panic evident in her eyes as she takes a step back, bumping into the man behind her. Nyx scoffs as she notices the First Army uniform on the man.

"Shouldn't you be on a Skiff destroying the Fold with your new lover?" Nyx snarls angrily, making the man stiffen and Alina clears her throat nervously.

"Don't you know the truth about his plans with the Fold?" Alina asks in disbelief and Nyx snickers, shaking her head.

"You finally found out. I wondered how long he'd wait before telling you." Nyx smirks, taking a step closer as she towers over Alina.

"You knew... you knew and stayed with him?" Alina asks in disbelief and Nyx raises an eyebrow. "Why?"

"Why? Because he used to be the most important person in my life, he used to promise me a better future. Because I loved him. But then you came." Nyx snarls, a look of guilt passing through Alina's eyes. "Consider yourself lucky I haven't crushed your heart yet."

"Watch it." The man snaps, making Nyx look up at him with a raised eyebrow. Alina shifts between them, clearly protective of the man.

"Mal, don't." Alina breaths out, making the man back down and Nyx snickers.

"How does it feel to have every man at your feet? Does he know that about the things you've done with the General?" Nyx taunts them, but Alina shakes her head.

"I understand that you're mad at Aleksander and I, but don't get Mal involved." Alina says protectively, but Nyx stopped listening at the mention of his name.

"Aleksander? You..." Nyx trails off, her blood boiling with rage as she clenches her jaw. "Saints, this is unbelievable."

"Nyx, I know you and I didn't start off on good terms. But running away was the best option, you did well. Staying with him was your doom." Alina says, trying to reason with the Heartrender.

"You must be enjoying this. Having him chase you across Ravka." Nyx scoffs, making Alina frown.

"He isn't chasing me. He's chasing you." Alina points out and Nyx looks at her in disbelief, not believing her for a second. "You need to get as far as possible."

"You think I'm running away? Oh, Alina. You have no idea who you're messing with. I'm going to destroy him." She snarls, making Alina look at her in disbelief.

"Don't become like him." Alina says, Nyx chuckles humourlessly.

"I didn't realise that you became judge. Please forgive me forgive, Sankta Alina." Nyx bows ironically, making Alina look around in discomfort. "You must think you're all high and mighty now that Ravka calls you a saint."

"Nyx, please stop this. I never wanted to get in between you and Aleksander." Alina says honestly, making Nyx shrug in response.

"It doesn't matter, anymore. You took everything from me and I'm going take everything from both of you. The Ravka you didn't want to protect, the Ravka he sacrificed everything to protect. I'll take it all." Nyx muses, a smirk tugging at her lips at the look of fear in Alina's eyes. "You think Aleksander is bad. Darling, I'm worse."

"You're crazy." Mal scoffs, pulling Alina away from Nyx. A chuckle escaped her lips as she straightens up, pulling her hood back over her head.

"You're right, I am. And you'll finally feel the extent of my madness." Nyx hums calmly, before taking a deep breath. "Word of advice, once I'm done with Aleksander, you better be far away. Because you're next."

"It's not too late to stop this." Alina says, making Nyx scoff as she turns around and starts walking away.

"I won't convert to your religion, Sankta." Nyx calls out over her shoulder, not looking back at the two. She hoped for Alina that they never ran into each other again, for the next time she wouldn't hold back her anger as much as she did today.

What was supposed to be a walk to relax after spending all day doing paperwork, now turned into a walk to calm herself after the anger. She couldn't believe Alina even dared to say that Aleksander was looking for her, instead of Alina. There was no way he could - in her mind - the power he wanted was more important to him than anyone, he had proved that on multiple occasions. Perhaps Alina told her that, only to try and calm her anger, but it made Nyx angrier instead.