22. Pendant Girl

"Alright, take five", Brenda yelled, all of us groaning in exhaustion.

I walked to the edge of the court and put my hands on my knees, the silver pendant swinging in and out of my line of sight.

I sat down, leaning on the wall and putting my knees up to my chest, my fingers automatically reaching for the necklace and playing with it.

It had only been an hour or so since I said yes to Jason's proposal, but every free moment since, my hands were on the J shining on my chest.

I watched him now, crossing the basketball between his hands, practicing his hand eye coordination. He looked handsome as he moved back and forth, his eyes never leaving the basket.

Even from where I sat, I could see the sweat trickling down his neck and disappearing into his blue jersey. I sighed as I continued to watch him, mesmerized.

"You're smitten", Jordyn smiled, standing in front of me to block my view.

"What are you talking about", I pushed her lightly as she sat down beside me.

"Come on, you've been drooling over him since you sat down. I think I still see a dribble of it on your chin."

I laughed, rubbing my chin slightly. I knew she was kidding, but I also knew she wasn't too far off.

"What can I say? My man is not too bad on the eyes."

"Mine either", she whispered, looking at Troy as he gave her a wink from the other side of the court. We simultaneously sighed before looking at each other and laughing.

"Okay, come on", she jumped up, "we need to go back before Brenda eats us alive."

She got up and held her arm out for me to help me up. As I got up and dusted myself off, Jason turned to face me. He gave me a quick look up and down, then the sexiest wink I've ever seen, and proceeded back to his dribbling.

"I really am smitten", I whispered to myself as I ran back to the court to rejoin the others.

After practice, I felt sore but satisfied as I got out of the shower and got changed in the locker room. Jordyn stood up on on of the benches in the middle of the room and announced "party at Troy's house this Friday after the game", followed by unanimous cheers.

When she stepped back down, she came and tapped me on the shoulder, bouncing up and down.

"What's going on", I turned around to face her.

"I think that's the night", she continued bouncing.

"The night for what?" She didn't answer me but kept bouncing up and down.

"The night fo- OH! Oh really ?", I realized in shock as she nodded her head continuously.

"Are you sure you want to take such a huge step when there will be a bunch of drunk teenagers in your vicinity?"

"I don't know", she said as she finally stopped bouncing and put her hands on her waist. "I didn't think about it like that."

"You really should", I put my hand on her shoulder, "it's a big deal and I don't want it to happen under such... questionable circumstances", I finished with a giggle.

"You're right. You're always right when you sue big words like 'vicinity' and 'circumstances' ", she laughed back. "What would I do without you."

"You would fail", I said, hugging her.

"Well, what about you", she asked as we unwrapped from each other.

"What about me?"

"Have you thought about taking that next step?" Her question took me aback as I sat down and looked up at her.