5. Try New Things

Jason's comment hung in the air as I walked into the classroom, looking for Jordyn. I looked to the back to find her staring directly at me, smirking.

"Oh boy" I mutter as I walk to the seat next to her, sitting slowly.

"What the fuck did I just witness" she whispers to me.

"I have no idea what you're referring to" I say, but the ruddy blush radiating from my cheeks give away my lie.

"Who is he? The new transfer?"

"Yeah. His name's Jason. He's pretty cool"

"Yeah, I'd say" she said, eyeing him from where he was seated two rows ahead.

"Well" she continued, " he's pretty fine if you ask me."

"Yeah, well, I didn't", I snap, earning a look of shock from her and a pang of guilt from my self.

"Okay, what's with the attitude? Does it come with the new look?"

"No" I sigh. " I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you like that, it's just... I'm a little bit off today." I fill her in on what happened on the day with a recap on calculus fiasco and showed her the letter I found on my phone in the morning, explaining the desire for a new look.

"I'm proud of you Ness" she says, handing me back my phone, " but from my perspective, which is a great one I might add, it's going to take more than just a makeover."

"Yeah, you're right" I sigh, slumping in my seat. "I need to add something else to my life. I need some excitement."

"Well, how about cheerleading?" I burst out in laughter, but quickly silence it once I get a nasty glare from the teacher seated in the front of the classroom.

"Are you kidding me " I whisper yelled. " Why the hell would I become a cheerleader?"

"It's trying something new! Come on, I'll even do it with you" she nudges.

"I'll think about it" I turn back to my desk and open my physics book, planning to put in some extra studying time, but my mind keeps wandering off to what Jordyn said.

Trying something new is something I want to achieve, but cheerleading? That's way out of my comfort zone; I'm more of a calculator or flute type of girl, possibly a track girl, but definitely not pom poms.

As I continue to ponder the thought of me in a mini skirt doing acrobatic routines, my mind drifted off to sleep.

"Vanessa! Get up!"

I wake up, startled, to the sound of Jordyn whisper yelling in my ear. I turn to her, giving her a scowl.

"Come on, class is almost over" she says, packing up her books. I follow suit, silently cursing myself for not putting in the study time I intended. As the bell rings, I see Jason leaving the classroom, running into some members of the football team. I pay no mind to it and continue on, Jordyn catching up beside me.

By lunch, the entire school is buzzing about the new transfers. Some talk about a new guy named Troy, but most of the conversation is about Jason.

I walk over to my lunch table to find Frank and Kate already seated, chatting.

I met Kate in the eighth grade, and we hit it off almost instantly. She looked like a life sized doll with her almost porcelain complexion along with her blue eyes and long brunette hair, which she cut into shoulder length waves once senior year came about, which complemented her bubbly, upbeat attitude. After I introduced her to Jordyn, the three of us became almost inseparable. We met Frank, a buff Hispanic with curly brown hair as short as his temper, combined with the his deeper introverted personality about a year later, and it was love at first sight for Kate. They've been together ever since.