6. Why Not

I woke up to my alarm clock ringing. I switched it off and jumped out of bed, grabbing my phone in the process. I had a reminder telling me that cheer tryouts started today. Below it was a message from an unknown number:

You took too long to text, so I took the initiative - Jason

I absentmindedly smiled at the message as I headed into the bathroom, throwing my phone on my bed in the process. It had been a couple of weeks since he moved here, but I hadn't seen him much since the first day, considering we moved in different circles.

As I brushed my teeth, I eyed myself, trying to decided what I would do for the day. I switched on the shower, giving me more time to think.

Instead of working out my day, I thought a lot about my mum. I thought about how I would dance with her around the house, how we would watch old shows together as a family, and I felt a tear run down my cheek. I wiped it away as quick as it came, not wanting to think of past joy that only brought me present pain.

After the shower, I decided to put my hair in a simple bun with a few free strands hanging loose. I settled for no makeup, deciding to go for a more natural look, other than wearing my contacts. I eyed myself in the mirror one last time, pleased with the turnout.

I walked over to my closet and pulled out a red, hoodied shirt dress along with stockings and my black combat boots. I turned on my music on the speaker resting on my bedside table, blasting old school rnb.

I drove into the school parking lot, humming a song that had just finished playing as I turned off the exhaust of my car. I got out, only to be cornered by Jason, who was leaning against his black Range Rover . He looked good in a black hoodie and ripped back jeans along with black converse, making him blend in with the car.

"Did you get my message" he asked, his voice smooth. He sounded very calm, his Adam's apple bobbing as he spoke.

"Yeah, I did. I'll reply in my own time" I smiled up at him and turned as I walked into the school building. I mentally gave myself a pat on the back, proud of my confidence. I had started to notice over the last weeks that I actually possessed some and that it was not just a figment of my fantasy. I can get used to the new Vanessa.

"Hey guys" I said as I approached the gang seated in the student lounge. The spacious room seemed crammed with two vending machines, a pool table, and numerous study desks near the windows, with only one of the four couches in the middle full, taken up by the three of them.

They replied with numerous hey's and hello's as I sat down next to Jordyn, leaning against her body.

"So you're actually doing this whole cheerleading thing" Katie asked, sipping from her travel mug.

"I guess so" I said, shrugging.

"That's good. At least I'll se some friendly faces on the court" Frank said, wrapping his arm around Kate. Frank had always been a starter for the school's varsity basketball team, and this year wouldn't be any different.

"I'll cheer especially for you" I say laughing.

The rest of the day went on pretty fast. In almost a flash, school was over and it was time for cheer tryouts. I went to the girls' locker room and got ready. I put on some black basketball shorts, a blue tank top, and black sneakers. I did a few quick stretches before stepping out. Before I made it onto the court, I was cornered by Coach Savanna.

"Hey Vanessa" she chirped, moving her clipboard from her hand to her side.

"Hey Coach" I replied. She was a really laid back person and an even more relaxed coach, even though I had only had her a few times in my phys ed classes.