28. Thanksgiving Pt.1

"Nothing fits right", Kate yelled through the beige wooden doors. Jordyn and I have each other a look, arguing with our eyes who was going to enter the changing room and comfort her this time.

"I did it last time", she whispered harshly to me.

"I was here an hour before you", I argued back just as quiet.

"Rock paper scissors", she asked. I took my tote bag from my lap, placing it on the floor. I turned to face Jordyn fully on the black couch, my hands in position.

We did the mandatory three taps, and just my luck, I landed on scissors just as she picked rock. She hit my two fingers lightly, smiling at my defeat.

"Fine", I grumbled, already missing the soft and cozy fabric of the couch as Jordyn relaxed, kicking on foot on top of another.

I knocked softly on the door, and Kate quickly unlocked and pulled the handle.

"I feel fat", she whined, giving me space to enter the small cubicle. The floor was covered in dresses tried and thrown, all discarded for different reasons. I check the hanger behind me to see if there were any options left for her to try on. There were none.

"Okay", I breathed out, "why do you say that?"

"Look at my arms", she yelled, causing others in the cubicles around us to shush her. She rolled her eyes before continuing her rant.

"The arms are too tight, I look like I'm going to pop out of them any second". She kept poking at her arms in the mirror, as if waiting for the tip of the fabric. I eyed the dress on her; the velvet red knee length ensemble had pleats at the waistline that accentuated Kate's curves remarkably. However, I did agree with her that the arms, which ended right at her wrists, were not working.

"Okay, maybe there's another one that you think fits better", I suggested.

"I've practically tried on everything in my size, and nothing is working. I'm exhausted." She put her head on my shoulder and I gave her a soft pat on her back.

"Well, maybe you overlooked something. Here", I pointed to the smaller pile in the corner, "let's try and look through these. I'm sure we'll find the right fit."

She mumbled a small okay, muffled by my shoulder. I lifted her head and gave her a soft kiss on the forehead for encouragement. It seemed to brighten her spirits somewhat as she smiled up at me, nodding.

Sitting down on floor, I dove into the pile, sorting through the numerous colours, styles, and fits. As I analyzed the fabric of the one in my hands, my eyes caught a soft shimmer underneath my leg. I pulled it cautiously and gasped as I held it up.

"This is the one", I nodded to Kate, who had been watching me from door, chewing her thumb in anticipation.

She took the dress from my hands, eyeing it suspiciously. She pressed it against her body, twisting left and right in the mirror.

"It's worth a try", she shrugged. I helped her unzip and fit the dress. Kate stood silent, her eyes wide as she looked at her reflecting in the mirror. I grinned proudly as I watched her, quietly calling Jordyn in to see the results.

"Holy smoke show", she whispered in awe as she entered the now cramped changing room. The cross-back strap navy blue dress hugged Kate perfectly, her small breasts well sculpted and accentuated with the wiring of the bust, and her small waist just slightly visible as the dress cascaded down her legs to her ankles. The dress was elegant, but still casual, and Kate pulled it off effortlessly.

"It's perfect. I can't believe I didn't see it before", she spoke softly. "Thank you Nessa", she hugged me tightly as Jordyn gave me a thumbs up behind her. I shot her a grin as I hugged Kate back, wrapping my arms around her with caution so as not wrinkle the dress.

"Now what about your dress", Jordyn pointed at me with her hot pink acrylic nail.

"I don't know yet. I was hoping to pull something decent out from my closet honestly."

"Are you kidding? It's thanksgiving and it's your first one with Jason, you have to pull the stops."

"What about you, where's your dress", I argued.

"I bought mine weeks ago. I come prepared", she grinned, proud of herself.

"Do I have to", I pleaded, but a simultaneous yes from both the girls shut me up quickly.

"Okay, let's find you the perfect fit", Jordyn grinned as Kate squealed and clapped her hands excitedly, earning another shush from the surrounding stalls.

After what felt like hours, Jordyn and Kate continued to search for the "perfect" dress for my first thanksgiving with Jason as I casually strolled past the array of clothes, running my fingers through the different items. I stopped at a black number that oddly seemed to be calling my name. Unhooking it from the rack, I pulled the girls from the various locations around the store and dragged them with me into an open changing room.

Within seconds, they helping me slide the fabric up my torso. I heard a zip and a clasp, Jordyn nodding her approval in front of me. Finally turning to the mirror, I stood in shock at my reflection. The black strapless jumpsuit hugged my body perfectly, much better than I could've imagined.

The underwire secured my breasts perfectly, accentuating them whilst still holding them in place. The golden-buckled belt around my waist gave me more a curvature and the legs flowed in an almost dress like manner.

"Yup", I nodded approvingly.

"Yup", Kate added.

"Mission accomplished", Jordyn smiled.

The hours flew by as the sun began to set. I walked into the house, yelling a quick hello as I took off my shoes, my father and sister echoing it back. As I stood up straight, the scent of sweet potatoes wafted into my nose, reminding me of how hungry I really was. In anticipation of the dinner feast, I had not eaten a thing the whole day, which I was beginning to regret.

"Ah there she is", my father greeted me as I entered the kitchen. He hugged me as I gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

"It all smells so good", I complemented as I eyed the array of ingredients scattered on the kitchen island, the turkey glistening in the over light, and the mashed potatoes steaming on the stove.

"All that's left is your job", he pointed at the sweet potatoes sitting on the edge of the island.

"I can't wait", I grinned, rolling up my sleeves. Since I was a child, it had always been my job to help out my mum with the sweet potato pie, but after a while, I was left to my own devices as I continued to improve and sharpen my skills. Eventually, it became my duty and the number one request every year from the family.

"I've waited all year for this", Rosa hummed as she stuck her index finger into the bowl, removing a good glob of the orange mixture and sticking it in her mouth.

"Vete, this is my time, you already did your job", I shooed her away, causing her to stick her tongue out at me, which I reciprocated.

In a snap, I was placing the raw tray into the oven, ready to roast. I stood back and eyed it proudly.

"I think this is your best work", my dad praised from behind me.

"Let's hope so"

"Okay, I'm going to go get ready, and I suggest you do the same. We wouldn't want to greet our guests underdressed."

"Wait, guests? As in more that one", I turned to face him.

"Yes, you're not the only person with a plus one", he nodded.

"Who else", I prodded. I hoped I would finally get the answer to the mystery in progress: would he invite someone?

"Your sister. She said something about a raven or a swan, I can't really remember.", he shrugged it off.

"Wait, do you mean Dove?"

"Ah yes, that's the one, Dove. I knew it was a bird", he nodded.

"This just got interesting", I smirked to myself. I ran up the stairs, ready for the show to commence.