9. Room For Change

We pulled up to Jason's house, a two-story mansion-like townhouse, much like the other houses in our town. By the time we got there, the block was full of cars belonging to various Lincoln High students. I found a spot not too far from the house, and parked.

Switching off the car, I took a deep breath, attempting to calm my nerves. My fingers had cramped from gripping the steering wheel too hard to calm myself.

"You'll be fine Nessa. I will be right by your side, promise", Jordyn said, taking my hand and giving it a small squeeze.

"Okay", I said to myself, taking my phone and locking the car.

We entered the yard, which was filled with various people conversating and a few people blacked out on the grass, which made me laugh seeing as it was only 8 o'clock . The door to the house was opened, which spilled out the songs playing from inside.

Standing at the door, I hesitated slightly, which Jordyn noticed. She took my hand subtly and led me in. As we entered, we were welcomed by the smell of peppermint and beer along with various bodies moving around. I looked to my right and saw the kitchen, where there was various types of alcohol displayed on the table and a few people filling up drinks as well as some talking off to the side . To my left was a corridor which had a fewer people, but it was dimly lit, so it didn't take me long to assume what was happening. Next to the corridor was a flight of stairs leading up to what I assumed was bathrooms and bedrooms. Straight ahead of me was the living room, which was filled with people dancing to music that played from the speakers on either side, as well as some others sitting on the couch along the back wall.

Jordyn and I passed through the bodies of people and walked out into the garden. There was a circle of people vaping or smoking a number of things in one corner and various groups of people conversating. In one group, I took notice of the football guys I had Calculus with and immediately froze. With them was Brenda, dressed in tight high waisted blue jeans and and a white cropped tank top as well as black wedges. She seemed to be flirting with the entire lot of them, their eyes fixed on her movements, but hers focused specifically on the captain. I swiftly turned my body the opposite direction, running straight into a bulky chest.

"Sorry about that" I say softly, looking down at my feet.

"Way to make an entrance", a familiar voice said. I look up to see Jason smiling at me, a red solo cup in his hand. He had on a black v-neck t-shirt which emphasized his defined chest as well as black jeans and black converse. Beside him stood Troy with a smirk on his face, wearing an outfit similar to Jason's except with a white shirt.

"Sorry about that" I mumble again. I feel Jordyn come to stand beside me, immediately calming my nerves.

"I don't think we've met before. Jordyn" she says, stretching out her hand to shake Jason's.

"Jason. Make yourself comfortable" he said to her, reciprocating the handshake.

"Hey you", Troy said, his deep voice starling me slightly.

"Hi", Jordyn said stumbling, her cheeks immediately flushed. I looked at her in shock. I had never seen her this... shy.

"Want a drink", he asked her.

"Gladly", she smiled. He briefly introduced himself to me before taking Jordyn's hand and leading her inside. I saw her cheeks redden as she gave me a smile. I smiled back at her and faced Jason, us now being alone.

"I really appreciate you coming", he said smiling, his teeth shining even though the sun had set.

"No problem", I said looking down. I could feel my cheeks getting hotter as I fixed my eyes on my shoes. What the heck was happening?