4

After that, the train ride went well. Luna and I read The Quibbler together. Every issue came with a pair of Spectrespecs and Luna and I traded off keeping them. Of course, our dad was the editor so we could easily get our own copies, but we had always shared them, and now it was a bit of a tradition. When the witch with the trolley came down the corridor, Harry and Luna and I went out. Ron stayed seated, muttering about sandwiches.

"That's nonsense Ron," I laughed.

"Yeah, let us buy something for you," Harry protested.

"No, really...corned beef..." Ron held up the cling-filmed packages.

Luna turned to the trolley. "We'll have some of everything,"

Ron flushed but grinned. "Thanks, guys,"

I opened a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans out of curiosity. I had never tried them before, but dad had warned me about them. I fished out a pink one because what bad things are pink? I sniffed it first, but it didn't really seem to have a scent.

"You have to go for it!" Ron egged me on.

"I'll have one at the same time," Harry suggested.

"Okay, let's go,"

I bit into mine and cringed. I looked over at Harry, who had a similar expression on his face.

"Urg! What did you get?"

"Cow tongue!" I spat it out into the palm of my hand. "You?"

He grimaced. "Mud? Maybe? It's earthy," I laughed.

Once we got closer to Hogwarts, we all changed into our robes. First years had very basic robes because we hadn't been sorted yet. Once we were, we would have to send away for the proper uniform to match our house colors.

The train pulled into the station at Hogwarts. It was already dark out as we'd been on the train all afternoon. We stepped out onto the platform and I felt Luna feel around for my finger and hook it. People swarmed around us but Ron and Harry stayed close by as we looked around.

"Firs' Years over 'ere please! Firs' Years!" A huge bearded man towered over the crowds of students. He caught sight of Harry and smiled.

"All righ' there Harry?" He called.

Harry grinned "Hi Hagrid!" and pulled us over.

"I'm in charge o' gettin' the firs' years to the castle,'' Hagrid explained to us. "You all have to be sorted an' everythin' so you go in at a different time,"

"How do we get to the school?" I asked, looking around.

"You'll have to wait an' see now won't ye?" Hagrid chuckled.

He led the crowd of chattering, nervous children down a path and we reached a huge lake. About a hundred small rowboats were floating in the shallows and Hagrid urged us to get into them. Luna and I slipped into one with Harry and Ron and we glided effortlessly across the water. We floated past a rocky outcropping and the castle came into view. It was miraculous. 

A/N: Hi everyone! I hope you're enjoying the story so far. I know this section was a little shorter than the others but it was the best stopping point I could find. Next up is the sorting ceremony!