19 - mac and cheese

k a r e n

"Okay," Selyn giggled, as she took a picture of our well painted toes. "Since you guys did your jobs well," She paused, looking at me.

"We'll make food tonight!" I cheered, clapping my hands together. Selyn nodded her head eagerly, as I grabbed Calum's arm and pulled him out of our room.

"Whoa, whoa, slow down." Calum frowned, as he stood firm, not letting me drag him inside the kitchen. "What do you mean you're making food?"

"Yeah, I thought you're going to order us food." Luke furrowed his eyebrows, looking at Selyn and I expectantly.

"Well," I cleared my throat, "Since we're going to tour for the next eight months, let's start being friends! At least like, talk to each other without feeling weird and stuff." I said, as Selyn nodded.

Without any further do, Selyn and I pushed Luke and Calum inside the kitchen set they had here. It wasn't that big, but you could fit 6 to 7 people here.

"Wait, what are we doing here?" Calum asked weirdly, as I looked in the cupboard to find a pot.

"You're gonna cook? Duh." Selyn replied as if it was the most obvious answer in the world.

I heard Calum and Luke choked behind me, ad I quickly grabbed a spare pot and turned around. They were shaking their heads in horror as they began to move backwards.

"No, you're going to cook, and that's final." I told them, as I shoved the pot on Calum's chest. His hands quickly shot up and grabbed the pot, holding it firm infront of him.

"But we don't even know how to boil an egg." Luke whined, as Selyn handed her a pack of macaroni.

"Well, Lucas," Selyn started, "You're going to learn loads of things tonight." She smirked, as Luke and Calum let out an exasperated groan.

Without waiting any longer, Selyn and I began to instruct them what to do. We were going to make mac and cheese tonight. Luke's job was to boil the macaroni, and Calum's job was to grate the cheese.

I observed Calum as he squinted his eyes in concentration, while he was grating the cheese. He did it very slowly, mainly because he was holding the grater in a wrong position.

I sighed and walked over to him slowly. It was funny that he was so concentrated, that he didn't even realize that I was right beside him.

"Cal," I touched his shoulder gently. Calum looked surprised at first, but when he saw my face, his gaze softened quickly.

"Um, yeah?" The boy answered, looking at me through his thick lashes. I took a deep breath, as I averted my gaze to the cheese.

"You're supposed to hold it like this," I started, as I placed my hand over his, before turning the angle of his hand in the right way. "It should be easier this way, try it."

Calum did as I told, as he began to move the cheese sideways. He did it faster this time, as he looked more relieved as well.

"Whoa, this actually works." Calum mused, as he took another cube of cheese from the counter. I smiled at this, as I leaned my hip on the table.

"Have you ever cooked before?" I asked casually, still observing his every move.

"Nope, first time." Calum chuckled, as he cleaned the excess cheese off the grater.

I nodded my head in acknowledgement, before I turned around to see the macaroni is ready. The rest of the night seemed really fast, and before we knew it, the mac and cheese was ready.

Luke and Calum brought the pan into the dining table, as Selyn and I took a seat on the spare chairs. Calum then took his phone, before he snapped a picture of the food.

"Luke! We actually cooked!" Calum said excitedly, as they took a seat in front of us, already taking the food into their plates.

Luke was the one who took the first bite, and his eyes widened immediately.

"This is so good." Luke moaned with his mouth full, as both of the boys began digging in again.

"You're not eating?" Calum asked, looking up to us from his plate. I shook my head and looked at the time.

"Nah, it's pretty late, and--"

"Open up the fucking door!" We heard a familiar voice yell out, as someone banged the door repeatedly.

My eyes widened as I quickly shot up from my chair, sprinting my way to the door. My hand found its way to grab the doorhandle, as I pushed in down and pulled the door open.

Zoe, Clover, Ashton, and Michael stumbled inside the hotel room with tired faces. They didn't even speak a word to me, but I didn't mind really, because they must be tired.

"Mac and cheese?" Ashton asked, as he took a seat beside Selyn.

"Yeah, we made it." Luke grinned, as he motioned his hand between Calum and him. Ashton raised an eyebrow, as he put his spoon back.

"No! You should try it! It's really good." Calum told Ashton stubbornly, as he took a small piece of the food into Ashton's plate.

"Guys, I'm extremely tired, I'll pass tonight. See you tomorrow." Clover yawned, as she dragged herself inside her room.

"Yeah, me too." Michael followed afterwards, as he slumped his shoulders down and made his way to his room.

I raised an eyebrow weirdly, before I took a seat beside Ashton. He was already digging in, but I couldn't help but ask,

"Where have you guys been?"

Ashton looked up at me, as I glanced to Zoe who was drinking a glass of water.

"Um," Ashton paused, "We got lost."