Amazon Prime Video Bonus Chapter: Panic!

Authors Note
In celebration of Amazon Prime Video's newest series Panic, I am thrilled to be teaming up with Amazon Prime Video and Wattpad to write this exclusive chapter that puts my characters from this story into the world of Panic!

I hope this chapter intrigues and inspires you to learn more about Panic. Visit the #PanicWritingContest on Wattpad for the chance to put your creative writing chops to the test and learn more about the show!

To find out more about the contest, prizes, and how to enter, check out the #PanicWritingContest here: wattpad.com/AmazonPrimeVideo

Don't forget to watch the series premiere on May 28th, only on Amazon Prime Video, here: http://primevideo.com/

****

Don't panic.

Rule number one.

But how can I not when that's literally the name of the game?

It also doesn't help that I'm standing at the edge of a very high, very unstable cliff. It's a wonder I'm still standing with the way gravel crunches beneath my feet as I shuffle from one foot to the other. As well as that, chunks of snow slice into my skin and wind whips at my hair, the allocated raincoat doing very little to protect me. The only heat I have comes from the warm hand inside mine.

Elliot's.

This was his idea. He first heard about the competition a week after Shaun's arrest. The plan? Simple. Win the prize money and escape this deadbeat town. Carp. The ultimate American dream. A trap. I hate it here as much as he does and, the thought of leaving is too good an opportunity to pass. If only I didn't have to plummet to my death beforehand.

"Welcome to your second challenge. You will need to make your way from one water tower to the next, using this plank," explains the game master.

I look towards said plank and almost scoff. I've seen rotten bridges in better condition.

"How long you choose to do so will determine how many points you are rewarded."

Great—there's a time limit.

"Remember, to advance in this competition, you must have a certain amount of points."

Elliot squeezes my hand, optimistic.

"We've got this," he whispers.

Only we don't 'got this'. I'm terrified of heights.

"Your time starts as soon as the horn sounds. Make it count."

It's the game master's job to guide us safely through the competition. Last year's one was fired when someone almost died in what can only be described as a bungee jump gone wrong. The videos are all over YouTube, and even the thought of them makes my skin crawl.

I have a theory he's part vampire. He speaks with an accent I can't quite place, though if I had to, I'd say it was a combination of European and something entirely made up. Translucent, his skin is almost grey, yet shows no sign of ageing. In fact, aside from the unusual colouring, his complexion is flawless. He has shoulder-length, dark hair that's almost always tied back and dark eyes to match. People call him the Grim Reaper behind his back. Elliot and I chose a far more respectable nickname and secretly refer to him as Dracula.

"Don't let that plank deceive you," offers Elliot. "They wouldn't let us cross it if it wasn't safe."

"Wouldn't they?" I ask, unconvinced.