2. Holy Blue-Eyes

The following day, everyone is talking about the truth or death messages

The following day, everyone is talking about the truth or death messages. As it turns out, all senior students received it, yet I'm the only one even remotely freaking out about it. No one is taking it seriously, apart from the school board, who currently have a lot to answer for with regards to data protection. Even Sienna apparently shrugged it off when she saw it.

It's frustrating to say the least and as I linger by Shaun's locker–thinking about ways to get people to listen–I'm drawn to a phone conversation happening a few feet away.

"I don't know what you expect me to do? I'm a high school student! How am I supposed to make money? Plant a tree?"

It's Elliot Evens; all dark-haired, bright-eyed and cheek dimpled. He fashions black jeans and leather jackets like the damn things are made for him and yet, such a simple getup is hard to ignore. At least for me. He's easily the most gorgeous guy in our school but as Jasmine's ex, I'm not supposed to think that. It doesn't matter that they only dated for a month way back in our freshmen year. He was a dick and it's my duty as her best friend to hate him.

"Alright, alright...I get it. I'll figure sumthin out."

I try not to listen, for I feel slightly uncomfortable with doing so. Having a life-crisis is bad enough without his peers eavesdropping. But damn, his voice is so smooth. So rich. Like melted chocolate.

"Bye."

He slams his locker shut and momentarily locks eyes with mine, grounding me with that intense gaze of his.

Holy blue-eyes!

He offers up a strained smile, which I choose not to return and instead, turn my back on him. Thankfully, he doesn't question it and moves along, allowing me to breath for what feels like the first time in forever.

"Lena!"

"Shaun?"

He comes running towards me, waving his phone in mid air. "You were right. We should've listened."

Huh?

"What're you taking about?" I ask.

He thrusts his phone under my nose, bringing my attention to an article printed by our local newspaper; Oak Valley Times. I adjust my eyes to accommodate the tiny font staring back at me, though part of me wishes I hadn't bothered.

BREAKING NEWS: Body found in Rockaby Park. Believed to be that of seventeen-year-old Sienna Michaels.

"Fuck!"

Shaun looks just about ready to puke.

"She's dead?"

"Happened in the early hours of this morning, apparently."

"How?"

He shrugs. "Dunno. Everyone is freaking out. You were right, Helena. You told us to take it seriously and we didn't."