36. Killer King

I run home, picking up speed with every breath I take

I run home, picking up speed with every breath I take. With every slap my boots make with the concrete sidewalk, my stomach churns. Mrs. Jones—Catherine Jones—is Shaun's Mom. And if what I'm thinking is true, he's the missing piece. He's the one who strangled Sienna. He's the one who sent Mom's text when I was with Mrs. Jones. Shit! He knew Elliot and I were in Ohio visiting Lucy last month and—

Oh my God!

He'd easily be able to take a sample of my hair.

I feel sick. Detached from my body. It can't be. He's my brother. But what do they always do in Killer King that used to annoy the hell out of me? They let their emotions get in the way of the investigation.

I can't let that happen.

No way!

Instead, I call Detective Saunders and explain as best as I can everything that I know. He advises me to wait for their arrival before I enter the house but I ignore him. Elliot still hasn't met his fate and what Mrs. Jones said about it being out of her control has me thinking all sorts. Like how Shaun might be in there right now, finishing the job.

"Mom!" I yell, bursting through the front door.

Everyone is sat around the kitchen table, just about ready to tuck into breakfast.

"Helena—honey—we thought you were taking a shower," says Mom, a little concerned. "You shouldn't be leaving the house alone."

"I've made you some breakfast," claims Shaun, his own plate conveniently empty. "We'll need full stomachs if we're to work throughout the day non-stop."

I look to Elliot, relieved to see him still in once piece. "Where's your phone?"

"It's upstairs," he replies. "Outta battery. Why?"

Mom goes to eat. "DON'T EAT THAT!"

She halts her hand, her toast suspended midair.

"Helena, what's going on?" asks Chloe.

She's sat beside a concerned looking Jason.

"Have you poisoned it?" I ask, turning to Shaun.

My eyes burn with unshed tears.

He laughs. "Poisoned what?"

"Their food."

"Helena!" gasps Mom, rising from her chair. "Why on earth would Shaun want to poison our food?"

"Because he's the killer," I claim.

The room screams with silence.

"What the hell, Lena," scolds jasmine. "That's not funny!"

No, it' not.

"Mrs. Jones has just poisoned herself," I continue, eyes fixed on Shaun's. "Did you know she was going to do that? Was that part of your plan?"