9. I'm Next?

The community centre is packed

The community centre is packed. Parents, students and reporters fill up the space, making it hard for Mom, Shaun and I to move. It's not the biggest of buildings and certainly not the newest. Cold seeps in through the cracks in the walls and wind whistles, imitating the 'ohhhh' of a ghost.

Vice Principle Collins is up on stage, currently bringing her twenty minute speech to a close, having listed off majority of the points brought up by worried parents. By now, her pant-suit is creased to fuck and her hair, disheveled. She looks worn out. Exhausted. Sad.

"Our main priority now is to ensure the safety of our students and staff."

"Oh, sure," whispers Shaun. "They take it seriously now one of their own is dead."

He's right. Up until Principle Wilson died, the police were still adamant the messages were irrelevant to the case. And while part of me wants to waltz up to Detective Saunders and yell, 'I told you so' in his face, the other–more rational side–realises it's wise to keep my mouth shut.

"We propose a eight PM curfew and encourage all students to travel in groups."

Moans of displeasure ripple throughout, stemmed by naive seniors who are unprepared to take matters seriously.

"Anyone found out after this time will be escorted home by the police. Parents/ carers of these children will face a $100 fine."

"Even if the texts aren't addressed to us?" asks Kylie–our class president.

"Yes. Even if they're not addressed to you," repeats Collins. "School will be open as normal tomorrow. Mrs Jones will be taking over as our grievance councillor for those who wish to seek help."

A chorus of approval echos throughout, mostly from parents.

"Will prom be cancelled?" asks Kylie, seemingly speaking on behalf of us seniors.

"No, prom will not be cancelled," replies Collins. "Myself and Detective Saunders will now be taking any questions you may have..."

"Are the allegations about Thomas Jackson true?" asks one Mom, not bothering to wait her turn.

Detective Saunders steps up to the podium. "We are unable to divulge information on this particular case at the moment."

"So, in the meantime we're supposed to just send our children to school with a sex offender?"

I scoff. Perhaps a little to loudly if the sudden focus on me is anything to go by.

"I hardly think Tom's relationship with Francesca is your biggest concern right now," I chastise.

My statement is followed by silence and judgemental stares. Daggers are thrown and sniggers are shared. Some by parents themselves.

"Innocent until proven guilty, right Helena?" mocks Chloe, making herself known up front.