28. Too Good To Be True

Within hours, Tom is arrested

Within hours, Tom is arrested. Taken in for questioning. And charged.

It's a relief to know there's no longer a killer on the loose and I'll admit, knowing Elliot and I are the ones who helped make that happen feels fucking fantastic. People treat us like royalty. They sing our praises everywhere we go. Thank us as they pass by. They even offer to buy us a drink–which, we of course deny–but still.

Things are normal again and I allow myself the luxury of engaging in normal things as a reward.

This morning, Chloe insisted dress shopping was of utmost importance with prom fast approaching and so–here I am–trying on a mountain of dresses in Oak Valley's only boutique–Amore.

"Red would look killer on you, Helena," states Chloe, gesturing towards a rather daring dress.

I stare at the silk number, an unsettling feeling rooting itself deep into my stomach. "Can we not use words like 'killer' when describing how I might look."

Jasmine giggles. "Why? With Tom behind bars, the town know you're innocent."

Hmm.

"Even so..."

"Fine," sighs Chloe, draping the dress along my shoulders. "You'd look sexy in red. Try it on."

I oblige, rather liking the colour. It's not my usual style but who's to say that's a bad thing? Maybe now is the time to try something  different. Especially with Elliot on the receiving end of things.

"Does it look good?" asks Jasmine, shouting over the curtain separating us.

"It's...flattering."

I emerge from the dressing room, dubious of their expressionless faces.

"What?"

"You have to get it," declares Chloe. "You look..."

"Killer?" I mock, running my fingers along the slit.

It almost runs the entire length of my leg, stopping just before the groin. The material gathers at my toes, its glossy finish shimmering in the store's lighting. A deep shade. Flirtatious.

"Sexy," offers Jasmine.

I check the price tag. "It's on sale."

"Even better," replies Chloe, pushing me aside and stepping into the changing area with various options. "Now, help me find my perfect dress."

Having snagged the first gown she tried on, Jasmine is now in the position to focus her attention on Chloe. And what better way to provide than to holler abuse over the curtain. "Don't be so picky and you might actually find one you like."

"I'm not picky," she counters, gifting us a glimpse of her satin underwear by creating a crack in the curtain. "I slept with Elliot, remember?"

I splutter. "And? He's a damn catch."