14. Clothes Off!

With my phone resting against my English anthology, I continue chatting to Elliot, our thirty minute back and forth mostly consisting of potential conversation starters

"I suggest playing it safe with a simple hi," he offers.

"I agree," I state, logging into Instagram as S_D_S and bringing up Lucy's account.

After all, we don't know what we're up against yet.

"D'ya think she did it?" I ask, hitting send on our agreed 'hi'. "D'ya think Lucy killed Sienna?"

"Anything is possible," he replies. Why?"

"I used to play with her. When we were kids."

"So?"

"So, I'm having a hard time accepting it."

He shuffles closer to his camera's lens, seemingly studying me. "That's okay."

I spy a small section of his bedroom and notice a bookshelf to his left. It's a lot withered and barely standing, housing no more than ten books. His walls are dark. Perhaps blue? And he doesn't have curtains.

"No, it's not okay. I'm not supposed to let my emotions get in the way of the investigation."

"Says who?"

I shrug. "It's just fact."

"Real life dictates us sometimes," he informs. "It requires action."

I take pause, hating my reluctance. "They did this in Killer King."

"Did what?"

"Ignored the evidence. Refused to accept what it was trying to tell them."

"You're not them, Helena. You're you," he states. "And we have an actual fighting chance at figuring out the truth with you on the case."

I smile, appreciating his kindness. His determination.

"You really believe we can do this, don't you?" I ask.

"I believe you can," he replies, voice soft.

I'm about to respond when my laptop pings, signalling a reply. I avert my attention and flip the camera on my phone so that Elliot can read along with me.

Lucy_G_:
I did everything
you asked. Please.
No more.

From this, it's clear Lucy isn't S_D_S.

"Ask her what she did," suggests Elliot, squinting to read the screen.

S_D_S:
What exactly
did you do, Lucy?

Lucy_G_:
I posted the pictures
and sent the texts.
Everything you asked.

S_D_S:
And what do
you get in return?