19. Team Effort

My head throbs with every breath I take, a minor inconvenience as far as I'm concerned

My head throbs with every breath I take, a minor inconvenience as far as I'm concerned. Jasmine isn't answering any of my messages and it kills me. Not because I'm being ignored. But because of what my journal said.

The walls of nurse Jenny's office confine me to my own punishment. A feeling of helplessness I've never before experienced. Trapped, like a caged animal. Elliot is with me, nervously chewing on his lip as he continues to stroke my hair, soothing away the ache in my head. He hasn't said much but I know his mind is in overdrive. Thinking of ways to explain himself.

"I don't care," I whisper, voice hoarse. "About you and Chloe."

He stops his caress on my hair and rests his head against mine. "You don't care?"

"No."

He looks hurt.

"About your past," I clarify. "I do care about who you're sleeping with now."

"No one," he insists, grabbing the ice pack and holding it to my cheek. "I'm not interested in anyone, Helena."

"No one at all?"

A smile breaks loose. "Well, maybe someone."

I nudge his shoulder and playfully swat his chest. "Thank you for saving me. I can't believe Jasmine bailed."

"She didn't bail," he ensures. "She found me. Told me what was happening."

"She what?"

"She mentioned your journal and that her name was written in a list of suspects, so I told her about the text message Lucy received when we were there. About how she was the only person who knew we were in Ohio and that's why we suspected her."

"What did she say?" I ask.

"She begged me to go help you, then left."

He presses the ice pack further into my skin, warding off any swelling.

"So, she didn't bail?"

He shakes his head. "No, Lena. She helped you."

There's a sudden commotion outside, followed by Shaun and Jasmine piling into the room. Elliot instantly drops the ice pack and shuffles back, aware of Shaun and his watchful eye.

"Fucking hell," he says, angling my head by gently tilting my chin. "Chloe can punch, huh? Are you okay?"

"Nurse Jenny thinks I'll live."

He smirks. "Smart ass."

Jasmine says nothing as Shaun continues to inspect my injuries, quietly loitering in the background. I look to her, desperately trying to catch her eye but her gaze is settled elsewhere. Avoiding mine.

"I heard you helped," states Shaun, turning to Elliot. "Thanks."

Elliot smiles and goes to stand. "I'll leave you guys to it. Nurse Jenny said to ice her bruises as much as possible-"