My Son

Taehyun was sitting in one of the armchairs of the library. He had asked his servants to bring two tables, one on each of his sides so he could put on all the books he was reading.

 Well, perhaps 'searching' would be more suitable.

 Ever since his discussion with Soobin, Taehyun felt nothing but a heavy conscience, and it was killing him. Perhaps he had been too tough with the prince at that moment. The words he spoke were as sincere as the look in his eyes.

 Taehyun wanted to find on the annotations of ancient times any alternative so Soobin could keep on his duty as crown prince and at the same time be happy in the way he wanted. It's not uncommon to see two people in an arranged marriage not getting along, actually, the uncommon thing is to see a couple that really has been happy after an arranged marriage. That's why there must be something, anything... A story, any record of some royal member that has been in a similar situation as Soobin's.

 Although he cared for the kingdom, Taehyun also cared a lot for Soobin.

 Taehyun was from a small village next to the borders of the Northern and Western kingdoms, and after an invasion of the dreadful demons of the mountain, the whole village was completely annihilated. Taehyun has seen death up close, the carnage on those sadistic and bloodthirsty beasts' eyes. He would be dead if it wasn't for the cavalry of the Northern Kingdom, led by the king Seok-Jum Lawford himself, along with his son Soobin Lawford.

 The only survivor of the Ayken family was Taehyun, and since they always had a friendship with the royal family, Seok-Jum welcomed Taehyun as a new member of the royalty. From the very beginning the boy drove on the books, and it didn't take long for him to become wiser than the current royal counselors and therefore reach a high rank. Moreover, he became a great friend of the crown prince Soobin.

 Soobin was there for him in the nights he couldn't sleep, he was there to hold him when the nightmares made him scream until his throat burned, he was there to make him company when he missed his devastated village.

 Soobin has always been such a gentle person, always putting other people first, worrying about them as if they were part of his family. He always wanted to see everyone happy.

 The wish to be happy wasn't selfishness, as Taehyun was implying.

 ...It was reasonable.

 Taehyun rubbed his eyes in between the index finger and the thumb while supported his elbow on the armchair, sighing deeply.

 Soobin deserved... More than anyone else... To be happy.

 He deserved to choose his own happiness.

 But... How?

 How would Soobin rule the kingdom in a righteous way and at the same time be with the person who makes him happy, knowing that this person is not a royal member or anything like that? What would happen with the image of the kingdom?

 How would Soobin manage his life this way?

 The books weren't helping at all, and it was already expected. What kind of royal writer would describe in a book of the library a story about how the king or the queen managed to neglect their partners?

 Taehyun got up, feeling a slight and sudden dizziness. For how long has he been sitting there?

 The counselor walked out the library, heading to another hallway, without having an exact idea of where he would like to go. His head was so full, so much information that was always favorable to the kingdom, but none of that seemed to be useful now. He wanted his prince to be happy, but how would he do that?