My Life

"Do you think it's a sign?" Soobin asked Yeonjun as they both leaned against Beomgyu's bedroom door.

 "What?" Yeonjun uttered, always with his arms crossed, not taking his eyes off Beomgyu and Huening Kai who were trying on some makeup, clearly enjoying it.

 "That shapeshifter... He showed up yesterday, and the wedding is three days from now. Do you think it could be the gods warning something?" The prince's voice was low and drowned in worry. He didn't seem to want the other two to hear.

 "I'm sure the gods have more to do than try to warn mere mortals like us."

 "I'm serious, Yeonjun. We're so close to the day, and a shapeshifter shows up in this region... This is too much to be just a coincidence."

 "Mystic creatures are unpredictable, the demons of the mountain are a great example of that."

 "I just can't help but have this feeling... Something feels strange..." Soobin lowered his head slightly, looking down at his hand.

 Yeonjun glanced sideways at Soobin, then lowered his gaze. Maybe he had an idea what was going on with his friend.

 "Are you sure this feeling is about the wedding?"

 "Hmm? What do you mean?" Soobin looked at his friend.

 "When are you going to tell him?"

 Soobin looked at Yeonjun, confused.

 "Tell what?"

 Maybe it was way beyond his duty to tell him about it, but Yeonjun knew that sooner or later Soobin needed to do something.

 "The war, Soobin."

 Soobin blinked a few times, then narrowed his eyes.

 "He knows about the war."

 "Does he know everything about the war?" Yeonjun turned to face Soobin, looking deep into his eyes.

 "Hueningie and Prince Beomgyu, Yeonjun and I are going to talk here outside the room, okay?" Soobin warned smilingly at the two boys putting on makeup, receiving nods along with wide smiles. So he pulled Yeonjun out, pushing him against the wall across the hall. "What are you talking about, Yeonjun?" Soobin's voice was low, but from his intonation and countenance, he was clearly angry.

 "We've already fought many battles with the demons of the mountain, Soobin, but after the wedding, two entire armies will be marching to their nest to put an end to this once and for all."

 "What does this have to do with anything?"

 "This will be our last war against them, Soobin. The most dangerous. The bloodiest. We both may not survive."

 "Do you think I don't know that?" Soobin released Yeonjun, moving away a little and rubbing his eyes in between his thumb and forefinger as he sighed.

 "If you know, you need to tell Huening Kai."

 "Yeonjun... I can't." Soobin leaned his forehead against the wall, looking mentally tired. From the knight's point of view, the prince has probably thought about it a lot, and apparently has not yet come to a conclusion.

 "Yes, you can and you must. How do you think he's going to feel if you go to war and never come back?"

 "And you think it's going to do any good if he's worrying all the time before the war even starts?" Soobin looked at the knight. "He is my strength, Yeonjun. He is the reason I will be fighting. If I tell him... And see him cry... I don't know if..." He lowered his gaze, taking a deep breath, his face pained. "I don't want the last thing I see is his crying face..."