Chapter 10

The rest of the week went by in a flash. My parents stayed with us throughout the week so they could see me. The night after the first show, we went home and Dad wasn't too happy with what was in our scene. I told him that Ben didn't kiss me and then he was appeased. I didn't tell him though that Ben's lips brushed mine.

After the last show of the week, I made sure I packed all of my things. We had just a few days to get to our next stop. The next morning we were having to leave at seven in the morning, but I woke up at five so I could spend time with my family.

All of my belongings were packed into the car and we left to meet up with the rest. 

I got out of the car when we arrived and helped Dad get my things out of the two cars. I started toward Aunt Rue and hugged her.

"Thank you so much. For everything,"

"Anything for you. You've made me so proud, India."

"I love you,"

"I love you too. Now, go talk to your parents. I see someone is talking to your father." She winked.

I looked and saw Ben talking to Dad and wondered what they were talking about.

I shook my head, chuckling, and went to Mom.

"I'm having second thoughts about this. Are you sure you want to go through with this?" Mom cried, wiping at her eyes.

"Oh, Mom. You know I'm going through with it," I said, hugging her.

"I know. I'm just going to miss you so,"

"I'm going to miss you too. I love you so much,"

"I love you too. So, so much."

Dad came up and hugged me. "I love you, sweetheart. We're so proud of you. We're gonna miss you,"

"I love you too, Daddy,"

"All right, Newsies! Time to go!"

I looked at my family, and then my new one. "I'm going to be just fine," I said. I hugged them all again and ran to the buses.

"Josh!" I called.

He turned around, waving. "Come on our bus!" he yelled.

I ran to Josh and found Ben and Sky with him. Boy, was that a shocker.

We all loaded up and took our seats on the buses. Josh and Ben sat together and Sky and I sat across the aisle from them. I looked out of the window and saw my family.

"Hey,"

I looked at Sky.

"You're not backing out, are you?"

I looked back out of the window. Mom's tear-stained face, Aunt Rue holding a tissue near her eyes, and Dad's arm around Mom. All smiling at the same time. 

But then I heard their words over in my head; their voices saying they were proud of me. I refused to let them down now.

I looked back at Sky. "No. I'm not. Just saying my last goodbyes."

He chuckled. "I can see why you became an actress; you certainly have a flair for the dramatic."

I smacked his arm. He laughed. I looked out of the window one more time, smiled, and waved to my parents and aunt.

Then, as the wheels rotated, they became but blurred figures in the distance.

"Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm catching some shut-eye," I said. 

I shoved some earbuds into my ears that I pulled from my backpack. I hoped they would block out the noise.

I leaned my head against the window and closed my eyes. Before I could think another word, I dozed off.