Chapter 14

I paced back and forth in my dressing room. How was I going to admit to Ben I had feelings for him? Would he feel the same? We hadn't talked in hours, and we had practically avoided each other. Now we had the show in ten minutes. Was he mad at me?

Oh, I needed to stop overthinking. We got the official ten-minute notice and I made my way backstage to hear Dan's nightly pep talk.

I found Ben staring at me. "Can I talk to you?" I mouthed.

He nodded. "I need to talk to you too," he mouthed back.

I nodded and listened to Dan. Once he finished I waited for Ben to come to me. He walked over and as soon as he did, we got the five-minute warning.

"Hey, I need to talk to you," he said.

"Me too, but I think we have to make it fast." I chuckled.

He smiled nervously and nodded. "I um--"

"I um--" 

"Sorry," I said. "How about we say what we want to at the same time?"

He nodded. "One, two," he counted down. "Three. I have feelings for you,"

"I have feelings for you, Ben."

We both looked at each other, wide-eyed.

He smiled widely. "You have feelings for me? I never thought you would, especially after earlier."

"And I'm sorry about that. I got scared and the first impulse I had was to run. I really do like you, Ben. For how long I don't know, but I do without a doubt."

"Being completely honest with you, I've had feelings for you since the first time I saw you standing there, doing those pirouettes. And that's why I've not kissed you. I was too nervous. I didn't ever think you'd have feelings for me,"

"I don't know why I wouldn't," I smiled. I couldn't believe he felt the same. I was so happy!

He looked down sheepishly. "Since we've both admitted it, can I--"

"Kiss me tonight? Yes," I chuckled.

"Well, that too, but I was asking you out," he smirked.

I felt my cheeks go hot. "Sorry." I looked down, embarrassed.

"Don't be. That was my second question. Now, come on, we've got two minutes." He put his hand in mine and we ran to places.

Right before Carrying The Banner started, I looked at him. He liked me. I liked him.

It felt so good admitting it. 

~~~

It came to our scene and we ran out on stage. I had a feeling we would be adlibbing some more tonight.

"Hey, Scarlett, wait up!" Ben yelled.

"Come on! I wanna get to Midtown as soon as possible."

He laughed. "You ever been to Midtown?" he asked.

"No. I've never been anywhere except Manhattan. I'm really happy that I'm getting a slight change of scene, even if it's for a little while," I said, shaking my head.

He smiled. He grabbed my hand and kissed it, making me blush more than it had in the past. "Well, I'm glad that I get to be with you as you enjoy this change of scene."

I smiled. "You're such a flirt, Race." I smacked him on his arm easily, and he acted like it hurt.

He smirked and came close to me. I looked up at him. "Well, if being able to flirt with the prettiest girl in New York makes me a flirt, I'm happy to be one."