Seventeen

It took them about a week of marching across Europe until they found their first hydra base. It was a large site in the middle of the woods, only accessible via a dirt road. From their view on the ridge opposite, they could make out at least two factory buildings and a main central building that might be the testing rooms. The mere through of them made Basil shudder. The team watched as trucks and motor cycles went through the open gate. Black armoured soldiers moving around them to unload crates.

The team had been watching the base for the last two days, recording what came in and went. The patrol times and what supplies the base seemed to have. There were a convoy of trucks and tanks that seemed to leave and enter the compound every other day. Weapons supplied by the hydra facility being sent out to the German lines and the empty trucks coming back for more.

"So", Dum sighed. "What's the plan cap?"

"Jim and Frenchie, you two have the bombs right?"

"Yes Cap. A lot of them". Jim's smile was gleeful.

"Good", Steve peered round at the hydra base through his binoculars. "See those trucks and tanks coming in now? When they come in again tomorrow that's when we attack. The gates are the most vulnerable then. We blow the bombs as soon as they are inside and use the confusion to quickly take out the ground troops. Bucky will watch from here with his rifle to have out backs" he gestured with his hands as he talked. The whole squad listening carefully. "I'll enter first and create a cover for the rest of you to enter. While the rest of us take out any opposing forces and keep the attention on us, Basil, Jim, and Frenchie will use the chaos to sneak in and place as many bombs as they can. The aim is to blow this place sky high. Send a message".

Dum dum nodded sharply. "Sounds good. Any questions?" The squad all shook their heads.

"Let's kick some hydra butt", Gabe grinned. There were laughs of agreement and Frenchie exclaimed something very loud in French that Basil guessed included a lot of expletives.

"Glad to know that everyone agrees with the plan", Steve smiled.

"Who will indeed lead the call for America", Basil sung with a shit eating smile. Bucky, who was standing next to him, smorted at the song lyrics and joined in. "Who'll rise or fall, give his all for America?"

The others had stopped at the song and they all cottoned on, jointing in as the singing grew louder. Steve lowered his binoculars and turned to give them a dead eyed stare. "Who's here to prove that we can? The star spangled man with a plan!" The song broke off and the squad burst out laughing.

"Guys come on. Are you going to sing that every time?" Steve sighed but his lips were twitching.

"Of course Stevie", Bucky grinned as he clapped him on the shoulder. "It's a classic. Almost as classic as the knocking out Hitler".

"You've never even seen the stage show", Steve grumbled.

"Yes but well, we have heard the stories", Monty chuckled. Steve rolled his eyes.

"Oh just go and check the supplies". He waved them away and they all began wandering back to camp, laughing like school children.

"Basil". He turned back at Steve's call. The blonde gave him a mock serious look. "Just for starting that you're on first watch tonight with Bucky". Basil tipped his head back with a loud groan, mostly for show. Steve laughed as Basil jokingly flicked him the bird before jogging back to their temporary camp. Steve and Bucky laughing they were blocked behind the trees.

——

"You got everything Parrish?" Bucky's voice made him glance up. The sky was dark and their small camp was gloomy. The tents only lit by shuttered lanterns. They were too close to the hydra base to risk lighting a fire so the night was dark and the air chilly. Basil was sat on a log a short distance away from their circle of tents. His medic bag open on his lap as he counted up all his supplies again.