Twenty five

Dear Phillip,

I did it! I did two things. 1, I got nazi blood on my blades. You're welcome. 2, I kissed the blue eyes. I think I'm in love. How do I know? All the books and songs make sense. I have been teasing him for months, almost a year now and then the kiss happened and it was as if everything all of those ridiculous show tunes about love finally made sense. I know you're probably rolling your eyes but trust me, your day will come. I want you to meet Bucky someday. One day I shall bring him home, if he wants of course. I have never felt this way before. It's both exhilarating and unsettling. But the world is harsh. We are both in battle and it's scary. I can do nothing but hope that we will come back alive. If we do, I want to bring him home so you can meet him. I'll introduce him to mother and father as a friend but you know the truth. I can never keep anything from you.

Alright, I will stop rambling. You're probably pulling a face at this point. I have sent you my copy of Frankenstein and my notebook as I cannot read it anymore. There's a hole in it and, if you can see, a bullet. I was shot in the chest. Only my books in my breast pocket saved me from death. Do not fret, I'm fine. I was unharmed. But the scare got Blue eyes to kiss me, so I count it as a benefit. (Yes. I know. If you were here you would be lecturing me for being reckless). You can keep the books. I bet they will be good for your collection.

I will once again stress that I am okay and unharmed. I still cannot tell you anything about what I'm doing but we're hoping this mission will end soon. When our mission is over, the war should soon follow. That's the plan.
Be safe. Give mother and father my love.

Your love struck, lucky ass brother.
Jahi.

——

Nothing and everything had changed since the kiss. In front of the others, Basil and Bucky didn't act at all out of the ordinary. They spoke the same to each other. Basil teasing, singing and generally being annoying, so his usual self. Bucky kept his usual commanding calm attitude. His role of Sargent of the squad, second in command after Steve, always coming first. But their glances were charged. Shared smiles and a new sort of tension hung between them. Neither of them turned away each other's touch. Skin ship as easy between them as it was between Bucky and Steve.

Steve. The rest of the squad might not know about the new relationship dynamic between their Sargent and medic but Steve definitely did. Basil could tell so he wasn't surprised when Steve joined him one night on lookout. He looked up from cleaning his knives as the blonde man sat down next to him. There were remote enough for a campfire that night and the light of the flames flickered across his face. "Cap", Basil greeted with a nod. Behind them the tents sat in the dark. The men snoring and the sky dark with the late hour. Basil had just gotten up for the early morning lookout shift.

"Basil", Steve smiled as he sat down. "Mind a word?"

Basil smirked slightly. "My, that sounds ominous", he remarked.

Steve chuckled. "Not too ominous I hope".

"Na Cap. You're only terrifying to our opponents. Go ahead".

Steve took a breath and seemed to think about something. He hesitated for a second before exhaling. "There's something going on between you and Bucky". Basil froze and opened his mouth immediately argue. It was a knee-jerk reaction made out of fear. Being homosexual was illegal and punishable in England. Basil may flirt but the when someone tried to call him up on it, he was good at actually getting out from the accusation.

Steve stopped him with a open hand. "No need to say something. I could um", he grimaced in embarrassment. "I could hear you in the tent the other night". Basil blushed and was grateful for the darkness, though he didn't know how well Steve could see in the dark. "No one else heard", Steve added hastily. "I have enhanced senses".