Chapter 20: A new development

The following week after their visit to see Inko, Deku and Uraraka were back to work. The two of them arrived together at a crime scene. Another murder by the serial killer they were after.

"Good to see you back in action" Endeavour said as he spotted the young duo approaching. Deku had been out for the week whilst he was assessed and had plenty of testing done to assess whether the drug was permanent. Thankfully it was temporary and wore off after a few hours and as far as they could tell there would be no further side effects.

"It feels it. We learn anything from my last little adventure?" Deku asked as he approached Endeavour and shook his hand. Uraraka exchanged a nod with the older pro and kept walking towards one of the forensics team to discuss what they'd found.

"In a moment. First, I want to know what those headaches you had were about. The drug didn't have anything that would cause headaches so what happened?" Endeavour asked. It was mere curiosity on his part but he was pretty sure he knew exactly what it was.

"A new quirk. I've tested it since. Or rather I've trained it. Turns out I can sense danger. As far as I can tell it's limited to myself I can't detect when other people are in danger but I can detect threats to myself before I can see or hear them. A helpful quirk to be sure, yet a painful one if I don't train it. I almost passed out the first time it happened. My theory is that the pain is more severe depending on how dangerous the threat is" Deku explained. He'd had a few practice tests at home with Uraraka. Getting her to throw things at him with his back turned to see when the sense would kick in. Trying more dangerous objects and less threatening ones to see if it was any threat he could detect or whether smaller threats didn't register. For example, when she threw a knife at him, it kicked in and he was able to catch it in anticipation. Yet when she threw a beanbag it didn't register and it just hit him in the back, causing no harm.

"Hm. I suspected as much. Well you seem to be on top of it so I'll trust that you'll continue to train it. In other news Himiko had disguised herself as the barman the entire time you were there. After reviewing security footage we realised that she'd been there for a few weeks. We suspect she fed information to our killer" Endeavour informed him.

"I see. I can't believe I dropped the ball so easily" Deku said in frustration. Unsurprisingly, nobody, including himself, was going to forget that any time soon. Not one of his proudest moments.

"Just learn from it. Mistakes are fine as long as you learn from them. That being said, don't make any fatal ones. There's no coming back from those" Endeavour said trying to offer some form of comfort to the young hero. Not something he was completely used to yet. Whilst he'd improved tremendously and formed a strong bond with Todoroki he was after all still learning how to be a gentle giant. That and Deku refrained from mentioning the fact that he was pointing out the obvious.

"Preaching to the choir sir" Deku replied. He was keen to get back to work and find this killer. Not dwell on his low moments.

"Right. Well getting back to business I'll once again warn you that it's quite-" Endeavour began however Deku interrupted him.

"I'll be fine. How much worse can it be?" Deku asked. Before he could get an answer Uraraka came running back out of the building. Deku hadn't even noticed she'd gone in. It was impossible for him not to notice how pale her face was. He didn't have time to call out or approach before she hunched over and rather violently vomited onto the floor, getting some on the boots of her hero uniform.

"Ochako!" Deku cried out as he ran over to offer his assistance. She tried to wave him away to indicate that she was fine and she could manage. Right before the second barrage of vomit projected from her face.