Chapter 19: Mother and son

"Don't assume anything Deku" Urakaka warned as they approached the front door.

"You mean don't have any expectations" Deku replied. However she shook her head.

"No I mean don't assume anything. Or have expectations. We don't know what she's going to say" Urakaka said as they stopped in front of the door and turned towards each other so that she could fix up his outfit to be presentable for his mother.

"That's not it though. I'm pretty sure it's expect the worst and assume nothing" Deku said as he did his best to deflect and ignore the impending doom feeling that had been lingering since yesterday at the hospital.

"You forgot, always anticipate an attack" Urakaka reminded him as she looked him in the eyes and smiled. She was trying to reassure him but in truth she had the same sickening feeling in her gut.

Then again it could just be the human growing inside you.

"Right. We should probably stop trying to live our life based on video game quotes" Deku said which made both of them give a somewhat forced chuckle and a brief smile. However the gravity of the situation quickly dawned on them and brought them back to reality. Their smiles disappeared as quickly as they had appeared. Deku gulped. It didn't get rid of the lump in his throat though.

"Ready?" she asked. Knowing she wasn't.

"No" he said but he knocked on the door anyway. He wasn't even sure why. Usually he'd just enter and announce himself as he did so.

"Why'd you knock?" Urakaka asked. Both of them were as confused, nervous and scared as each other. The door swung open.

"Izuku! Wait, why did you knock?" Inko asked, delighted to see her son.

"Um..." was all Deku could say. He didn't know what to say in truth. Completely at a loss for words. Nothing seemed right. "Hello", "how are you?", "hey mom", "wassup".

Definitely not the last one.

"I just asked him the same thing. Oh well. How've you been Inko?" Urakaka asked as she hugged the older woman. Deku snapped out of it and entered his childhood home, closing the door behind him. That's when he noticed the lack of a furry feline greeting him like usual.

"Mom where's the cat?" Deku asked. Inko looked guilty all of the sudden.

"I uh...I gave her away. Thought it would be the best thing for her" Inko said as if she was a child confessing her wrongdoing after being caught red handed. For a moment Deku was furious that she'd give her away.

"Oh that's a shame. We could've taken her instead of giving her away" Urakaka said as she shot Deku a look. He understood right away.

"Yeah. I understand though it was probably the right decision" Deku chimed in. Inko showed the smallest glimpse of a smile. She was set at ease a little by her son's understanding but she'd felt his disappointment there for a second.

"Absolutely not you two already have a young girl and a dog running around nevermind a cat stirring the pot. Why don't you two come in and sit down. We have a lot to discuss" Inko said not wanting to stand on ceremony. This wasn't going to be pleasant and she wanted to get it over with.

"Yes we do" Deku said with somewhat of an attitude as he stormed into the living room and sat down on the sofa. Urakaka and Inko shared a look. However Urakaka shrugged her shoulders. She was as lost as Inko was. The two ladies followed Deku into the room and joined him. Urakaka sat next to him and Inko sat in the armchair.

"So, you gonna tell us what's going on?" Deku asked. There was definitely an edge to him. He seemed irritated. Angry even. Inko had realised why but Urakaka was lost. She gave him a subtle kick on the shin to remind him to show his mother some respect. Inko spotted it though.