Chapter 27: A grey area

In the weeks that followed Endeavour had forced Deku to take some time off to get his head right after everything that had happened. He was still being paid and was due to return in the next few days. During his time off he'd tried to spend his time with those he cared about as much as he could. His mother, Uraraka, his friends, Eri, he made sure to visit All Might's grave once or twice more than he usually did as well.

"Deku? You there handsome?" Uraraka asked. She was naturally very concerned. He'd told about the whole ordeal with Eve. That and his thoughts afterwards. She'd immediately shut it down and told him he was no killer. Not only that but Uraraka was quick to remind him that he already has a child in Eri who was put through hell by a villain and he wasn't sat around planning on how to kill him to get revenge or protect her. Something that had helped put him at ease that he wasn't the kind of person that would do that. However he still wasn't convinced and Uraraka knew it. Whilst he'd been around a lot more to spend time with them he hadn't exactly been present. Uraraka saw the distant look in his eyes. He was there but his mind was always elsewhere.

"Sorry, what? I was daydreaming" Deku lied. Uraraka considered calling him on his bull.

"It's ok. We need a few things for dinner tonight so if I give you a list could you get them on your way home?" she asked. Deku gave a rather unenthusiastic nod. He was off to visit All Might's grave today. This would be the third time this week. Sometimes he'd just sit in silence. Others he'd talk out loud in the hopes of hearing some profound wisdom that never came. Sometimes he'd just sit and cry.

"I could come with you if you'd prefer?" Uraraka offered. She was trying to do her best to be respectful of his alone time and his boundaries but at the same time she just wanted to be by his side and do what she could to help. It broke her heart to see him this way.

"It's ok. I won't be gone for long if you need me to go to the store too" he insisted in a feeble attempt to reassure her.

"Ok. Call me if you change your mind" she said as she walked over and kissed him. Her warmth helped to momentarily warm Deku's soul as he smiled at her.

I won't. I don't deserve her, she's amazing.

"Be back in an hour" he promised, placing a hand in the air as if swearing an oath.

"Well if you're late you're doing the dishes" she teased before giving him another quick peck on the lips.

"And if I'm early?" he asked with a cheeky grin on his face.

"Ummm....we can make out?" she suggested with a coy smile. Deku grabbed her hand and shook on it.

"Deal" he said as he turned to put on his shoes.

"Thought you'd find those to be acceptable terms. Better hurry though. Time started when we shook on it so you're already 20 seconds in" she teased as she made her way to the sofa to watch TV. Deku shook his head and chuckled.

"See ya" he said as he walked out the door.

"Buh-bye" she replied as he closed it behind him.

*Several minutes later*

Deku approached the gravestone and crouched down beside it. It was raining so he didn't want to sit or kneel anywhere.

"Hey All Might. Back again" Deku said as he decided that today was a talking day.

"Honestly the whole Eve thing has shook me. I'm fulfilling my promise and keeping tabs on Adam but I can't shake that experience. Or the others. Everything is piling up and I can feel myself becoming numb to it all. Questioning why I even do what I do. Why I wanted to be a hero in the first place. Would I still have wanted to be a hero as a kid if I knew then about all the things I'd experience and see?" he said, thinking aloud. He waited. Got no response. So imagined one himself.