Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen: The Song.

A cab took me home. I went straight to the barn and found much needed comfort in Arial. It was now 6 am. Kat should be awake for school. I text her, but was interrupted by a text, believe it or not, from Kat. It read,
"Did Dan leave yet?" I sent her a crying emoji and wrote,
"Yes."
"Sorry love," she replied. I climbed onto Arial and laid on her back, putting my phone away.
"What am I going to do Arial?" I asked. She whinnied. "I'm guessing you're telling me to get to work, use these emotions for a song?" I asked. She snickered. I jumped up. "You're a genius Arial!" I exclaimed. I ran out of the barn. I heard Arial whinny at me. I turned around and got her some grain, then filled her feed dish.
"Sorry," I said. She snorted, which made me laugh.

"Are you looking for me, when you close your eyes? But when you open them, all you do is sigh, 'My babies gone, she can't come back. This damn cold world, is out of whack. Someone please help me." It wasn't necessarily a song about Dan and him leaving for tour. But it was a song I put those sad emotions into. Once I finished the lyrics, the chords came in perfectly. I titled it, "Her Suicide Song." A few lyrics came from those emotions, and it was about Dan, "I will see you again, this is not where it ends. I will carry, you with me, until the end." It was a good song. And it was the last one I had to write for the EP since I had so many other songs already written. See You Again wasn't finished, but I had plenty of time to finish it by tomorrow, which was my first day in the studio as a solo recording artist.

I just woke up from a quick nap to my phone ringing. I answered it, and it was Dan.
"Hey," I greeted.
"Hey, we just got off the plane about an hour ago, we found a nice hotel and I think we are going to go adventuring before an interview in a few hours," Dan informed me.
"Cool. Where are you guys right now?" I asked.
"Los Angeles, tonight we have a show then San Fransisco tomorrow. I think we go to Seattle the day after, I have no idea," Dan replied.
"Just promise me you'll get some sleep," I joked. Dan laughed.
"So what have you done today?" Dan asked.
"I wrote a song and started writing a second one," I replied.
"Can I hear it?" Dan asked.
"In two weeks when I'm in New York," I replied. I heard Dan grumbled.
"You suck," he teased. I laughed. He was interrupted by someone. "I have to-."
"I know, I'll talk to you later," I interrupted.
"Okay?" Dan asked, he seemed worried about me.
"Okay," I said. Then we hung up.

I still laid in bed, bored out of my damn mind. It's been raining all day so I can't go for a ride. All of sudden I started thinking of Dan, then Dan made me think of my mum. There was a song that helped me get over her death. It's called To Build A Home, by Cinematic Orchestra. I learned that song on the piano and on the guitar a month after she died. I decided I wanted to make a cover and post it on my YouTube channel. I went to my bathroom and started crimping my hair. When I was done I put on a mint green sweatshirt, black and white tribal print leggings, and a black scarf. I went over to my studio and set up my camera by my guitar stool. I set up my mic by the piano. I recorded myself playing the guitar for the whole song and then I went to the piano and that's where I recorded myself playing and singing.
"There is a house built out of stone. Wooden floors, walls and window sills. Tables and chairs worn by all of the dust. This is a place where I don't feel alone. This is a place where I feel at home." I finished the song and then took my laptop to my bedroom to edit the video. I split the video in half. On one side you'd see me playing the guitar, the other you'd see my singing and playing the piano. I had to say, this is the best cover I've ever done.

I sat back at my piano and started recording my intro to the video.
"This song means a lot to me. When my mum died a few years ago, it helped me cope. Recently I was left alone, and this song is helping so that, the pain from missing them, hurts just a little less. I hope you enjoy," I said. I added the intro to my video and then started uploading it. While I waited for the video to update to took a shower to get my hair back to normal. When I was done I dried my hair and straightened it. My iPad started lighting up on my bedside table. I picked it up and read a million tweets. I opened my Twitter and sure enough, Dan tweeted my video.
"@bastilledan You suck you know that right," I tweeted to him. A minute later he tweeted back,
"@arilouise I love you too ❤️." My phone went off. It was a text from Jason.
"Mum's song? It sounded lovely," he wrote. I sent him back a smiley face and then went downstairs where my dad had just came back inside from the barn.
"How are the sheep today daddy?" I asked.
"They're good," he replied. He was smiling at me.
"I'm guessing you watched the video too," I said. He nodded. "It's just a song," I said as I got some juice from the fridge.
"It's not just a song, not to us," he replied. I guess my dad was right. It wasn't just a song to us. It was my mum's song.

Out in the garden where we planted the seeds
There is a tree as old as me