Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen: The Studio.

I walked down the long halls towards the studio Mark told me to meet him in. I was wearing black yoga pants and a pink lace tank top with a jean jacket and combat boots. My hair was in a side braid down my left shoulder. I finally found the room and walked in. Mark stood up and shook my hand.
"I think you almost broke Twitter yesterday," he teased. I sat in Dan's chair and laughed.
"Yeah I guess so. It wasn't me, it was Dan," I replied.
"You're the one who sang the song. That's why I think we should record To Build A Home for your EP. If it's already a hit on YouTube, we can make it a bigger hit on your album," Mark suggested.
"Yeah okay, I wasn't planning on using that song but you're right lets do it," I replied.
"Alright let's get you on the piano to play the song. We'll record that then we'll get you to play the guitar parts. I have a guy in that's coming to record the cello and violin parts later. Then we'll get you into the booth to sing the song and do some harmonies and such," Mark said.
"Let's get to work!" I exclaimed.

I got the piano parts recorded on the first try, because I've played the song hundreds of times. The guitar part was easy too. But because there's bass and faint acoustic, I had to play the song twice, each time only took me once. Mark ushered me into the studio and told me to sing. He played back the already recorded music and I sang. Again, I only had to do it once. But then I had to do harmonies and layers which only took an hour.

Now Mark and I sat eating some Chinese we ordered for lunch.
"It's never been this easy with Dan recording. He always freaks out and does it until he likes the way it sounds, even though we all would think it sounded the same," Mark said. I laughed.
"That sounds like Dan," I replied. We heard a knock on the door. A man came in carrying a cello and a violin case.
"Ben," Mark greeted. They did a bro hug.
"Ben this is Arabella the artist," Mark introduced.
"Hi," I greeted.
"Hello," he replied. Mark started ushering Ben everywhere getting him set up to record.
"Mark why are you so antsy today?" Ben asked.
"This is the first time I'll ever get a song recorded in a day," Mark replied. Ben laughed.

In two hours Ben finished playing. It took him a couple of tries because he had never played the song before, and I wanted it to be perfect. After Ben left I started gathering my things.
"I'll text you when I finish editing tomorrow," Mark said.
"Okay," I replied.
"Nice job Arabella," Mark praised.
"Please, it was all you," I replied.
"Modesty killed the cat," Mark joked.
"It was actually curiosity killed the cat," I replied. Mark laughed.
"Get out of my studio," Mark teased.
"I'll see you tomorrow," I said as I opened the door, ready to leave. "Yes, see you later," Mark replied. After that, I left.

I walked outside and saw my dad in the truck.
"You got it back?" I asked as I got into the passenger seat.
"Yes, in good time too," he replied.
"Why?" I asked.
You're getting your license," he replied.

My dad drove my to the DMV where I took my drivers test, passed, and got my license. When I got back into the truck my dad was smiling.
"Why'd you make me so that?" I asked.
"Insurance didn't pay for the truck to get fixed because you didn't have your license," My dad replied. I laughed.
"Well daddy, looks like I need a truck for my license to be driven with," I joked.
"Well, that's the other surprise," my dad replied.

We got home and my dad parked in his usual spot. But next to his truck, was parked a cute little red truck.
"I love it," I exclaimed.
"I knew you would," my dad replied. He hugged me.
"Take it for a ride," my dad suggested, handing me the keys.
"Not yet, I have to call Dan," I exclaimed as I ran towards the house and into my bedroom. I dialed Dan's number.
"Arabella Ari," Dan answered, he was obviously drunk.
"Hi Dan," I said.
"Arabella Ari, it's midnight what are you doing calling me at such an hour?" Dan asked.
"I just wanted to talk to you, but I have to go," I replied.
"Baby come-." I interrupted his snarky remark by hanging up the phone. Soon after that, I went to bed. Even though it was only 9 o'clock. I didn't like that he was drunk, and thousands of miles away from me.