chapter 42

I could only hear myself breathe. That's how I knew I was still alive. My breaths came out even and strong in this void, but my entire body felt as if I had been thrown down a mountain.

My head ached so much, but nobody was around to help me. I don't even know how I got into the void, but I'm here.

All I remember is myself, the basic sense of who I am. There's a reason for me being here, but that reason has slipped from my mind entirely. Why does my body ache? Why am I so exhausted?

Out of curiosity, I rose my hand in front of me. I couldn't even see it until it was an inch away from my eyes. How long have I been here?

My mother died—I killed her.

I lost my wings, although I don't remember how.

My father's dead, and for some reason that doesn't upset me. Why do I only mourn my mother?

I loved someone.

There's a strong ache in my chest, almost sort of a pull. Was it a mate? If it was, I don't know who it could be.

How long have I been in this void?

I can't touch people. Something about...siphoning.

A strong wind blew through the void, knocking me over onto the ground. When I looked down at the floor, it was just black. A black so dark that it looked endless. Freaky.

With a groan, I stood. I made a sound! "Hello?" I don't really recognize my voice, but I know it's mine. "Hello is anyone there?" I spoke again, but there was so response.

I have to remember something. There's a reason I'm here and I don't think it's a very good reason.

Maybe someone's trying to kill me? No, that's not it. I'm trying to kill someone? Yes. Yes I'm trying to kill someone. Who?

Who would have the power to put me into this void capable of fogging my memories? Someone powerful, a High Lord? No. High Lady? Also no. Who? The Mother? No. Something close to that.

The Dark Mother. I'm trying to kill the Dark Mother. But why? I mean, maybe her name says it all, but what did she do? What is she planning?

Maybe someone with equal power could get me out of this void. The Mother most definitely has that power.

"Mother? Can you hear me? I need your help. I think—I think a lot of people need your help but I can't remember who or why. If you can hear me, I think I may be able to do something. Maybe we could do something." I spoke into the void again, but there was just silence that followed.

I need to remember more about what's going on.

Nyx

Death Gods and Witches swarmed us with attacks. There weren't very many of them thanks to Bella, but there were still more than Mom, Dad, Uncle Cassian, Uncle Azriel, and I could handle.

We had exhausted ourselves trying to kill the Dark Mother, and now we were paying for it in battle. Dad couldn't mist anyone around us. Mom could barely use her powers. Uncle Cassian and Uncle Azriel were fighting hard, but I could tell they were exhausted. I was exhausted and we couldn't winnow.

I couldn't see Bella from here. I couldn't see Adira, Maeve, or Cal. There were too many of them. As we tore down a section to free ourselves, more of them would come and block the path. It was a never ending cycle, and we were all too damn exhausted.

The ground rumbled and I felt an enormous wave of power hit somewhere to the left of us. I spared a glance in that direction as the Death Gods around us parted ever so slightly. Bella had demolished fleets from the Autumn Court. All that was left of them was a pile of ash. My face paled at the sight, but I couldn't afford to freeze up as another attack came crashing down.